Like to Snoop around Your Neighborhood?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Census Bureau has some information on your neighbors!!

No, they don't name names or give street addresses but it is right down to neighborhoods -- just keep clicking the "+" over on the right side of the map.

You can learn things like median income, people working, owner occupied homes . . .

Then, do a comparison between today & 2000, 1990. See how things have changed ;).

Census Explorer (link)

The surprising things I learned were mostly reassuring :).

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
One day when I was on Google Earth, I accidentally got into a program that gives the address of the house you are looking at, who lives there, and their occupation, ages, approx. how much the house is worth. It really freaked me out. It was all the snooping info rolled into one. At least it didn't give their criminal history, but you can find out that by getting on case.net.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
c a s e . .

dot net, you say?

Do they have a refrigerator webcamera to go with that? You know, the contents of a fridge tells a lot about a person!

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, that is fascinating. Steve, how do you come across these things?

Breaking it down by census tract was especially interesting. The 3rd highest income area in my state centers around the Toyota plant. You take it back to the 1990 results (pre-Toyota) and the income drops dramatically, by about $32,000! My brother-in-law works there and puts in a ridiculous amount of overtime, but he makes about $20,000 more a year than my DH who has his Master's degree. Kinda gotta wonder what the point in paying on all those student loans was anyway, huh?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, maybe your DH has more time and appreciation for other things in life, Journey.

I follow about a dozen journalists (the chattering class) . .

. on Twitter. My news aggregater :confused:!

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, maybe your DH has more time and appreciation for other things in life, Journey.

Steve

A bit more than BIL does, at least. Bills are paid and we sleep well at night...that's all that matters, really!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can't count on OT to be there either. OT is a luxury & sure it's good to have too often people make it part of their standard of living. If you take away the OT how much more does he really make?

Is he living on his base salary & using the OT to pay down debt? Make extra payments on his house? Save for a replacement vehicle?

I see it happen time & again where people get so used to that extra $ then when things change & it's gone suddenly they are scrambling. Or they are delusional & believe the OT will somehow always be there or the ever popular "we'll figure that out if it ever happens" nonsense. I know people who got car loans even mortgages based on OT. It's scary. Didn't the last few years teach us ANYTHING!?!?!?

Yes I work some OT when it's there but it helps give us cushion, & allowed us to take DD to Disney World (something I wasn't sure we'd ever be able to do but we did & made every minute of OT worth it) but we paid cash for that trip. Nothing like a 5 y.o. at Disney World that's for sure.

I'm not trying to be all doom & gloom but if your going that route your setting yourself up for failure.

Sorry I've learned my lessons the hard way & am not EVER going back there again.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score

Steve

You're a real renaissance man, Steve, you know that? :D I never did figure out what on earth to do with Twitter, but that sounds like a great way to put it to use. There was something else you mentioned awhile back, a site for storing data or something, that I hadn't even heard of prior. I am behind the times! lol

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can't count on OT to be there either. OT is a luxury & sure it's good to have too often people make it part of their standard of living. If you take away the OT how much more does he really make?

Is he living on his base salary & using the OT to pay down debt? Make extra payments on his house? Save for a replacement vehicle?

I see it happen time & again where people get so used to that extra $ then when things change & it's gone suddenly they are scrambling. Or they are delusional & believe the OT will somehow always be there or the ever popular "we'll figure that out if it ever happens" nonsense. I know people who got car loans even mortgages based on OT. It's scary. Didn't the last few years teach us ANYTHING!?!?!?

Yes I work some OT when it's there but it helps give us cushion, & allowed us to take DD to Disney World (something I wasn't sure we'd ever be able to do but we did & made every minute of OT worth it) but we paid cash for that trip. Nothing like a 5 y.o. at Disney World that's for sure.

I'm not trying to be all doom & gloom but if your going that route your setting yourself up for failure.

Sorry I've learned my lessons the hard way & am not EVER going back there again.

I sure hope they aren't doing that, but they might be. They appear to be doing pretty well. BIL is pretty saavy about money and investing though and says he can retire at age 45. They just bought a 67-acre farm 6 minutes down the road from us, so next time the census rolls around, the average for our census tract will go up a little I suppose. :p

Latest posts