Lily's *Update*

SoccerMomof7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me some Lily's last year and I planted them and the greenage came up but no flowers. This year the foilage has come up but no flowers yet. It's still getting pretty chilly at night. Is it not really a lily or will it probley still bloom this year.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It could be that your lilies are still too small to bloom. IME, both day lilies and regular lilies might need a year or two to grow before they will bloom. Both are otherwise really tough and forgiving plants and shouldn't give anyone any trouble, unless you are like me and try to grow them in deep shade. BTW, which do you have, day lilies or regular lilies? Day lily roots look like a tangled mass of roots, while regular lilies have a bulb underground. Plant regular lilies very deep (9" or so). Also I believe that too much nitrogen fertilizer will cause a plant to produce beautiful green foliage but no flowers.

SoccerMomof7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I must have day lillies it was a bunch of roots.

whatnow?

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't know your location, but I'm not seeing any daylilies blooming, yet.

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
On Long Island, I am kinda borderline zones 6/7 too, Whatnow. It will be a long time before day lilies bloom for this year. I can't remember exactly, but for sure its well into the summer. July?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you move daylilies in the spring sometimes they won't bloom that year. THey *should* bloom this year, only probably not yet. Are your friend's original clump of them blooming yet? (Remember yours may be a bit later because of differences between sites). I would not despair of yours until hers have been over for a week and you still see no buds.

Good luck,

Pat

SoccerMomof7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well it was a lady I babysit for so I am not sure about hers, but thanks for the help. Also I am located in zone 5.

s6bee

Sprout
Reaction score
It's a bit too early to bloom I thin, but soon. If they are Daylilies, you'll see some flower heads coming in.

SoccerMomof7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The plants have tripled in size but I don't see any flowers starting yet.

MsMagnolia

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Lots of beautiful blooming hybrid daylilies here! Love these lilies because they're not only beautiful, but they're easy to grow, they're hardy, and practically maintenance free. Also love the pristine white calla -- absolutely glorious.

Happy gardening, all!

ode-to-beauty2003.jpg

sweetness-and-light_05-15-03.jpg