Limiting Calories - effective/ineffective

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Happy Halloween!

Around here, the weather will be terrible this evening! Kids are going to school tomorrow to swap candy and share upper respiratory infections after an evening out in driving rain and wind with gusts above 25mph! I figure kid and parent traffic will be very low on my road before the weekend.

Calories?! Sure, I'm hoping they are staying home from right after school today because DW has some of my favorite candies from the store! I'll restrain myself through the day but sometime, my resistance is gonna break ... just after most the treats that can be given out and the tricks have been dodged for another year :).

Maybe, I can be in bed by then ... hey! There is a way to make calorie intake lower for the day. Whaddya think -- effective? Or, ineffective?

Steve
How about if we use this thread to bounce some ideas around on limiting calories and winter weight gain ;)?

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
With my willpower it's probably a pretty ineffective method. I wish you luck.

To me the best way to combat winter weight gain is to move to your home in the southern hemisphere and get to work on your garden down there. Since I don't have one, I'll spend more time in the house near snacks and doing less physical work. I won't have the fresh snacks, like the cherry tomatoes near my garden gate, so the snacks I eat will be less healthy. I'm going to gain at least ten pounds this winter, with my willpower it's going to happen. I hope I can limit it to 10 pounds.

As much as I like the kids and their costumes I won't have any candy in the house for them this year. We never have trick or treaters on this private road so our porch lights are turned off. There is no need to buy candy so we don't have any left over. We learned that the first two years here.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
No treaters out here in the sticks so I'm with Ridgerunner in not getting any of the tempting treats in the first place.

I have no sure-fire way to keep the winter weight off. I am hoping that daily stops at the "Y" will be effective and I plan to keep my "munch-on-breakfast-all-day" pattern of eating. I don't expect that will work with the Grands here, though. They need a good meal at supper and I want them to see it as family time to sit and eat together. I've already quashed the 'grab a plate to eat in your room' tendency they arrived with.

I agree the warmer climes are ideal for keeping winter weight off. We walked everywhere these past 3 days and this old lady is whupped. I've pled jet-lag even knowing that doesn't work North to South. Sure glad I have today to recoup. Poor kids are in school.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of the wealthy neighborhoods close the streets to traffic tonight, Police are all over. It is to give kids a safe place to trick or treat. If you wish to give out candy you leave outside light on, no light means pass house by. For some reason I have always been the dumping grounds for candy left over. All this week clients will drop off candy with their dogs.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For some reason I have always been the dumping grounds for candy left over.
Of course, they are trying to be nice but I'm sure it's best to resist and only pretend to be grateful. Maybe the homeless folks would appreciate it. I bet the guys working on my neighbor's roof could make use of a few extra calories, today!

and I plan to keep my "munch-on-breakfast-all-day" pattern of eating.
This is much the way I eat, when given the free time and enough light to see food. It's a guarantee weight-gain technique since I have never found a way not to overeat.

To me the best way to combat winter weight gain is to move to your home in the southern hemisphere and get to work on your garden down there.
Shoot! I haven't bought that south of the equator place yet, RidgeRunner, or I'm sure there would be enuf garden work for the both of us. Putting it off, putting it off ... can't decide between the Lake District in Argentina or Australia's Tasmania near Darwin. Unable to commit. That's the absolute source of my weight control problems.

I can do this. Let's see ... I had cream cheese instead of jam on my English muffin, this morning. I checked the calories - not much differeeennnce! I didn't put the cream cheese on both halves, just one and folded it back together.

How about using Greek yogurt next time?

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
[Smart Red said, "I plan to keep my "munch-on-breakfast-all-day" pattern of eating."]
[Steve said,"This is much the way I eat, when given the free time and enough light to see food. It's a guarantee weight-gain technique since I have never found a way not to overeat".]
Not quite what I meant, Steve. I purchase breakfast after the Y. I will eat a bit and tote the rest of breakfast home. Today I finished eating that breakfast ( 2 eggs, raisin toast, and fruit cup) at 3:30 pm -- no more than that.

If I didn't have to cook for the Grands that would have been all I wanted for the day. Instead I added a steak and steamed broccoli with Maverick to my day's food count.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I see!

I just Munch ...

Much ... by continuing Munching.

Steve

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Gain weight in winter - good or bad? And how to make the right decision?
This is very important, of course!
mocking.gif
It is necessary to understand!
smilie_girl_073.gif

Everyone has three brain systems.
1. reptilian brain (R - complex). It is the oldest (100 million years). The instinct and survival.
He says, to defend their territory, reproduce or dominant, run to hide.
And also: Winter is coming. Cold! Eat more! It is necessary to grow a layer of fat for future use. In order not to freeze. What if the food is not enough? It is necessary to make the stock.

2. limbic brain - emotions. (50 million years). He's trying to keep us in the "comfort zone". It makes a lot of interesting things. But we're talking about food.
"Are not you hungry? Eat another piece of the cake - and you will have happiness "! (Sneaky saboteur!) Limbic brain does not know the "shades of gray". Yes - no, good - bad. This is his main vocabulary. Good friends with the reptilian brain.

3. The neocortex - rational thinking. (1.5 - 2.5 million years).
It was he who can say, "Do not eat, look at yourself in the mirror! How do you look like? Find a diet! Do you want to eat? Close the fridge and go to bed! "

The poor man sits and wants to eat . But three voices sound in his head.
"Eat or die."
"Eat more»
"Eat less"

Well, something in common still is - the word "eat".
Well, the neocortex also agree that the winter cold and your appetite increases. A reduced appetite spring. Seasonal fluctuation of weight - is the norm. The main thing that the limbic brain is did not send a knowing of limits in the complete knockout. A reptilian brain needs to fall in winter anabiosis.

Personally, I will not argue with brains. I'll find a consensus. If I have a fat ass in the winter, I call it a "strategic reserve". And in spring is easy to get rid of him in my garden.
t0284.gif

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, it is necessary to make some efforts. For example, buy a beautiful dress one size smaller. Or feed girlfriends of pies for contrast.
pis aller
9b61f78bc578.jpg

Fortunately, less appetite spring. :)
But not so easy to get rid of in the spring.
Yes, difficult, unfortunately, but possible. :)

Latest posts