"LIMONCELLO" & other Liqueurs, Cordials etc.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight - I think the flavor was like a lemon bar tart and sweet. Very good. In fact after one round there was not much left. I definitely enjoyed it and was thinking of making a batch myself.

ETA: He said it needed to sit a bit longer. But I have no frame of reference

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Limoncello is not tart it only has the flavor of the lime in it I would love to try a cordial that has some tartness to it...

my cassis is totally thick like Jam I am thinking I may have to thin it later with some blackberry cordial and make a blackberry cassis liqueur instead ..but heading Hattie I put all my cordials up and am ignoring them right now

except the limon and lime cello's they are in the freezer and perfectly ready to enjoy now

good thing I have company this week and a "family" (in quotes because my family is really a grafted as well as related family LOL)
gathering this saturday!

I would love to do a tasting and am trying to think of apps to go with the cellos so any suggestions would be wonderful thanks

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just tasted the mead. Looks like it is ready for bottling. It is tasty but HARSH right now. I just have to ignore it for a year or so and let it mellow.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wifezilla, keep racking it every few months and let it mellow, it'll be much nicer in a year or so. You have to get it off the yuck at the bottom occasionally, according to the seminar we heard about mead-making we heard up at the Common Ground Fair last year.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have had mead at like Renasainse Fairs and I totally dig it. But waiting a whole year. That stinks.

And I asked the guy at work it was an orange lemon chello

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbow, I usually don't rack after bottling unless I get a really gunky looking bottom layer. I racked twice during fermenting and also skimmed while boiling. If you skim the gunk off when you boil the honey you can get rid a lot of impurities.

I have put my husband on notice he is NOT ALLOWED to "taste the mead to see if it is ok". LOL I told him he could test it next year. 4th of July at the soonest. Years back, he "tasted" the mead until we only had one bottle left right around the time it was actually ready to drink.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok lesson learned and I can not figure out why!!!!

maybe I need a science lesson

I have used my steam juicer to make juice and it sat in jars being juice in jars canned until I used it either to make wine or as a beverage itself

well this year I thought why not use this juice to make cassis and the blackberry cordial

well I have giant Jello shots you guys ..the cordials are glistening jellies ..not spreadible but like Jello instead ..it tastes remarkable ...

the only thing I can think of is to serve it during the holidays with a dollap of whipping cream and pretend I intended it to be like this????

why on earth did this jell? seriously I know the berries have pectin but when they were jarred in the past it never happened ..did the vodka have anything to do with this chemistry I wonder? very little sugar was added but then I have added sugar to the juice before and not had this happen ..such a puzzle

as I said ..I will spoon cordial into a glass and call it intentional :p

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
why on earth did this jell?
I remember reading in one of my mead books that anytime you boil the fruit you can get "pectin haze". Sounds like you got it big time! I imagine the temperature in your steam juicer is high enough to get the pectin out in large amounts.