"LIMONCELLO" & other Liqueurs, Cordials etc.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I wasted 10lbs of fantastic honey trying to make mead one year

and it ended up so disgusting...I just dont want to talk about it :(
Just spotted this post. Mead - you have to use the right yeast, and you have to let it mellow (sit) for well over a year to make high-quality mead. It needs to be racked at least four or five times during that aging process, too. I've heard many people say they hated the mead they made, these few tips are supposed to guarantee the good stuff. I've tasted mead made with the right yeast (champagne yeast works well) and the proper aging and while I'm not a drinker, that was some mellow high-test! :thumbsup

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ok back to my nocino (green walnut liqueur)
it is too bitter...and I like bitter in things but this has the nice fore bite of a nice bit of bitter flavor you want and are looking for but that after bite is way to much ..no one would drink this as it is!!!

blech !!!

the flavors are all correct in balance and the sweetness while it could be increased is good

I just need to mellow the after bitter..
perhaps vanilla would help ?

I dont know ..I am sure time will take the edge off but it is pretty prominent!

Hattie you know this liqueur what do you think I could do to tone down the bitter and give me the nice finish I want?

I used green walnuts... good 100 proof vodka cinnamon brown sugar a few cloves ...what else ...lemon rind (no pith or that could be the culprit I just used the yellow)

I think that is it ...let it sit for a month strained it and just had my second taste and while it has mellowed a bit ...

help?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow HiDelight my friend,

I'm afraid there are things in life you JUST HAVE TO WAIT FOR.........!!! No instant gratification here :th SORRY to be the bearer of bad news. I waited years......................BUT it is really WORTH IT. Just tuck it away & forget it & one day a long time in the future give it a try. Don't add vanilla or anything else. If you read up about it everyone says the same thing...........PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE.......!!!! :plbb :tongue

:rose Hattie :rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ps first batch of blackberry cordial is sitting up there as well and also the cassis I made

there is a lot of very classy booze both in my freezer (the limon and limecelo) on that top shelf!!!

:weee

happy girl!

I think I am done with the booze however I have to focus on the black cake next

it has to be made way in advance of the holidays it s kind of like
a cordial cake ..seriously it is a cake you have to watch how much you eat because you can get a buzz!!!!

has anyone here made a black cake? Hattie it is much like a plum pudding I am guessing because the British brought it to the Caribbean and then the people their made it their own

I should put put mine together today the fruits are allready prepared

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just goggled the black cake and wow that is a lot of liquor... I will have some. I had a theory once about gardeners after I met a few people that worked at a nursery in Montana. I thought they all must be hippies...I wish I was a hippie (sadly I am several generations removed). Let me know how the cake comes out...

P.s. One of the guys at work just make a lemon liqueur and brought it to the company picnic. And so it was my first time. I might give it a try.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Obsessed "HIPPY" is a state of mind :) there are no rules ..if you go by age then even I am too young to be a "hippy"

my kids call me a "earth mama" ..that title I like better than "hippy" it has no political ..religous or other bias :)

I feel a child of this earth and love to be close to it and covered in dirt...

gardening as I have said before is a very passionate and cruel lover but the drive to keep going is relentless and you have to be really connected to this and a little mentally out of kilter as well I think! ...that type of person no matter where you are ...what you do ..how old you are ...it is a certian type that can really persist and make it through the joys and heart breaks of bringing your own food from seed to maturity then eating it! unlike raising kids who you can not eat! :p

so yes there is a "type" I think ..even though we may have very little else in common... there is something common about being earthy and people like us who persue lives in the dirt :) so you can call yourself a hippy ..but I like child of the earth or earth/mama/papa/other better :)

I can share my process of making black cake as a thread if you like? it is boozy and very good I let my kids have it when they were little however because it is baked a lot fo the booze gets cooked out ..but not all!

I grew up eating it and I am ok :p :lol:

Latest posts