List of independent seed companies

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many terms are being tossed around with little meaning or understanding.

GMO means a gene was inserted from another species. You do realize we are really GMO beings. When a bacteria invades our bodies leaving genetic material that is now part of our genetic make up. Why do you think we don't get the same flu over and over again? We take injections that also change our DNA so that we have now genes that stop certain diseases. Same thing that the trait companies are doing w/soybeans, corn, etc.

Inbred means it is a line of known genetics.

Hybrid is simply the results of breeding 2 different lines. They may or may not be GMO's. In the breeding world they can also be called an inbred as they know their genetic base.

Confused enough? Best thing to do, is visit w/whomever you want to do business with and see if you are ok w/their model of business.

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The Stokes catalog was the first one of the season to arrive. I did notice however the most of their seeds are "treated". Also it appears that they do alot of business with commerical growers so that makes sense to me, I just wouldn't use treated seeds in the home garden. JMHO. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
RidgebackRanch said:
The Stokes catalog was the first one of the season to arrive. I did notice however the most of their seeds are "treated". Also it appears that they do alot of business with commerical growers so that makes sense to me, I just wouldn't use treated seeds in the home garden. JMHO. :)
Why do you not like seed treatments?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying about the flu shot. But, I won't take a flu shot because something has gone wrong with something. I know that sound vague but... the autism rate is now an epidemic. I live in a cancer belt, obesity is also extremely high. Our meat is treated with hormones, our seeds are treated with bacteria, we have medicine or injection for everything but we are not healthier, just the opposite. I am going with untreated heirloom seeds and I raise my own chickens. I am not even sure if we should be drinking the water. My husband wants to start raising a few cows but I not sure if we have enough property.

You have a good understanding of what you are doing and you have informed consent. If you are OK with it that is fine and I would never tell you not to do it. I am not comfortable with it. I don't do organic but I do try to stay more "natural". I like doing business with companies that are doing the same kind of gardening that I am doing.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think when it comes to 'treated' seeds there might be some sort of misunderstanding. some seeds are 'treated' with either a natural chemical or something along the lines of what is now considered toxic. the reason some seeds are treated is so they have a better chance of germinating and less problems with damping off or other fungal problems that can kill the seedlings. other times the seeds are treated so they will not produce more viable seeds from the produced fruit.

not often do i see seeds listed as 'treated' anymore. those i have seen are mostly squash and pumpkins. i have also seen some organically 'treated' now too! i think it is on Johnny's website they they sell carrot seeds pelleted in a little ball of clay and a natural/organic fertilizer to help them sprout and grow well. again, just ask the company what they mean by 'treated' if you're ever curious.:D

RidgebackRanch

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have seen bags of treated seeds from suppliers and the warning label is what turned me off. The warning made it very clear that the treated seeds were not to be eaten by people or animals. That is not something I want in my soil when trying to stay as organic as possible. :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
RidgebackRanch said:
I have seen bags of treated seeds from suppliers and the warning label is what turned me off. The warning made it very clear that the treated seeds were not to be eaten by people or animals. That is not something I want in my soil when trying to stay as organic as possible. :)
It's true that the chemicals used to treat seed makes them poisonous as food but the small amount of this material any one seed contains means that it will quickly dissipate or be destroyed by organic garden conditions. Little or none will remain to contaminate the veggies grown from that seed. A grower cannot label his produce organic however if he uses treated seed other than that treated by an organic compound such as innoculant for legume seeds.
It's best to avoid them unless you are having trouble with a disease attacking your seeds before or soon after they sprout. The organisms in a highly organic soil make that unlikely. Your soil will handle the problem by itself in most cases.
I remember many years ago corn was often coated with creosote to keep crows and other birds from eating the seed or new sprouts. Nasty stuff and illegal today.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Many terms are being tossed around with little meaning or understanding.

GMO means a gene was inserted from another species. You do realize we are really GMO beings. When a bacteria invades our bodies leaving genetic material that is now part of our genetic make up. Why do you think we don't get the same flu over and over again? We take injections that also change our DNA so that we have now genes that stop certain diseases. Same thing that the trait companies are doing w/soybeans, corn, etc.

Inbred means it is a line of known genetics.

Hybrid is simply the results of breeding 2 different lines. They may or may not be GMO's. In the breeding world they can also be called an inbred as they know their genetic base.

Confused enough? Best thing to do, is visit w/whomever you want to do business with and see if you are ok w/their model of business.
A flu shot does not change your genetic makeup. Theoretically it just teaches your immune system to recognize the flu virus as an enemy and attack it. Changing genetic makeup isn't as simple as that. It requires laboratory conditions and never occurs in nature outside of closely related species.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is as simple as that. All they do is identify a gene they want, place it in a bacteria and it's spread by use of a virus the bacteria carries. Now doing all that isn't simple but the process is. When a virus attacks your immune system, your genes are forever changed. Not to the point that a human being becomes a monkey, just like corn plants don't change to banana trees. But your gene make up has been changed. Why do you think animals and plants become immune to things? It's because their gene structure has changed. In the case of GMO, man selected what genes invaded the structure.
If your theory that the immune system recognizes and attacks it, we would have no carrier's ever because their immune system would attack it and kill it or the host would die.
Many people get mixed up with the basic DNA inside of a living being vs. the millions of genes (yes genetic material) that are in a living being as well. Man has no idea how many genes are within. Only GOD knows and HE hasn't told us.

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
RidgebackRanch said:
What most treated seeds are treated with is a multi-purpose fungicide to help seed from rotting in cool, damp soil.
Some of the seeds that I get from Stokes is treated with Captan which is the same fungicide that I use to control Damping-off in the greenhouse and early blight and late blight on tomatoes in the garden.

Chris