List of independent seed companies

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Here's the opposite side of the coin. This article contains the names of some of the companies owned by Monsanto. Some that you thought were independent are not. Monsanto doesn't advertise they own them, for obvious reasons.
There are also some interesting links about the subject if you wish to follow up.
http://transitionvermont.ning.com/profiles/blogs/vermont-seed-suppliers-be
Hmmm.....I stand corrected! It would appear that Johnny's of Maine purchases from one of the giants at least for some seeds. Informative article Hoodat. Thanks for giving us all the opportunity to gain more knowledge on a topic so that we can all make our own educated deciscions. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
anything put on seed will have warning labels on it as that is the way of the world. Stubborn is correct that most seed treatments are to stop pithium and photopforia (spelling terrible). Some might have a Poncho or Gaucho which is a nicotein which is poison to certain things as wire worms, grubs, etc. Not really dangerous but the lawyers say different. Got run over by bus, sue seed companies, McDonalds, government, etc....somebody has to be at blame. you only sue those w/$$$.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nicotine is highly poisonous that's why the warning. In the quantities used to protect seed however it isn't really dangerous; much less so than many of the other chemical compounds used. If nicotine were that poisonous one cigarette would kill you. Nicotine is a naturally occuring plant derived poison so there are plenty of critters out there ready and eager to gobble it, even though it is poisonous to many others.

AllyRodrigues

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just wanted to report back that I received my order of seeds from Sample Seeds and was really impressed. They were shipped quickly, labeled clearly and they added a couple of freebies, too! The seeds look healthy and the shipping ran less than $4.00 for about 35 packs of seeds..My order came out to be right around $40.00!

Now, what to do with all these seeds??

VFem, you're the closest to me! Maybe we can swap some and you can help me with where to put them!

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just ordered from Sample Seeds on Wednesday, based on the recommendations here. I don't know how much I ordered... at only $1 - $1.75 a pack, I tossed them in the "cart" rather willy-nilly. :) My total came up to about $40 also.

I'm really looking forward to getting everything in, but I'm'a have to go get another couple of 72-cell starter trays, I think, and definitely get the light sorted out. :)

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
AllyRodrigues said:
I just wanted to report back that I received my order of seeds from Sample Seeds and was really impressed. They were shipped quickly, labeled clearly and they added a couple of freebies, too! The seeds look healthy and the shipping ran less than $4.00 for about 35 packs of seeds..My order came out to be right around $40.00!

Now, what to do with all these seeds??

VFem, you're the closest to me! Maybe we can swap some and you can help me with where to put them!
You know I have participated in seed swap on BYC before and they are really, really fun. Just saying;)

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It makes sense that the (i shan't mention the name in this household) has control over the seed companies. They're very stupid to think nobody notices. All the pictures of the plants are the same; all the companies are based in brandon, manitoba ON THE SAME ROAD! It's creepy... Why don't they just come right out with a big mega company 'Monsanto Seeds' instead of puppeteering all these little companies, as if there still independent?

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
joz said:
I just ordered from Sample Seeds on Wednesday, based on the recommendations here. I don't know how much I ordered... at only $1 - $1.75 a pack, I tossed them in the "cart" rather willy-nilly. :)
I received my order from Sample Seeds. Huge envelope stuffed to bursting with little envelopes! Yikes! What was I thinking! Savory? I ordered Savory? And thank you, darlin', for noticing the lack of greens in my order and comping me a packet of Chard seeds. :)

I received it about 10 days after I ordered. I got an email at the 5-day mark telling me it might be an extra day or two on the order as somehow the word got out and her orders increased dramatically. She gave me 2 bonus packs of seeds, the aforementioned Chard and something else I don't remember. Maybe a melon?

I don't know if my teeny garden will hold it all! :)

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah Joz, I have the same problem. For the last 3 years I swear I am going to cut down my gardening then I get twitterpated or something. Swore it this year, place my order but then I just put in another order today. Decided to add to the garden that is still muddy and frozed. I need a intervention!!!!

On the good side I am also trying out some parsnips, cabbage and pole beans. I have never grown any of these and now I am going to try them.