List of independent seed companies

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't even know how to respond to seedcorn. Anyway, I ordered my seeds from www.AnniesHeirloomSeeds.com. It advertises as a small family owned business but I just I don't know where they actually get their seeds. I assumed that they raised them on their farm and then sold them, but now I am questioning that. Does anyone know anything about this company?????

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Here's the opposite side of the coin. This article contains the names of some of the companies owned by Monsanto. Some that you thought were independent are not. Monsanto doesn't advertise they own them, for obvious reasons.
There are also some interesting links about the subject if you wish to follow up.
http://transitionvermont.ning.com/profiles/blogs/vermont-seed-suppliers-be

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the site Hoodat. I never really understood a lot of the seed issue that was going on until about a month ago. I read an article about how they were infusing the seeds with bacteria DNA to "Improve" their performance or resistance blah, blah, blah. I was sick to my stomach. Well Annie Heirloom Seeds wasn't on the list so maybe their really are a small family owned farm company. I was shocked to see some of the companies listed. Shame on them!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't assume, ASK them if they grow all their own seed. If they are honest, they should tell you where they get their seed from.

Interesting at the bottom was an ad for Dupont seed (sell 99% GMO, breed GMO, Dairyland-owned by Dow chemical breeds only GMO) so are you now going to avoid this site?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you are ever curious if a seed company is Non-GMO look for the 'Safe Seed Pledge' on their website. many have fought hard to be able to put that label on their sites and stick to it! some companies will even try to test their seeds for purity but i would imagine that could cost them a pretty penny to do that to so many types of seeds each year!

Monsanto does not directly own these seed companies, these companies have an agreement to sell the seeds and not keep any of the seeds produced from the resulting parent plants for the following year's plantings.

eta: when it comes to Johnny's Seeds i think they have been using seeds they stashed years ago, planted, saved the seeds and have been growing them in their own fields since. many older varieties probably don't have patent rights on them anymore so keeping the resulting seeds isn't patent infringement anymore. many varieties they carry used to be Burpee or other old seed companies created years ago that have since been 'gobbled up' by Monsanto, Dow, and/or Syngenta. if you know a company that is claiming to not get their seeds from one of the GMO/chemical companies, ask who they are supplied from and how far back they may have acquired their original seed stock from if they say they are growing their own seed stck. that may tell you if they may have recently acquired it from a GMO/chemical company supplier or if it could be clean stock!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My FAVORITE seed company: D. Landreth Seed Company - www.landrethseeds.com
The company has existed since 1784! And their beautiful, informative catalog has been in existence since 1847. The catalog costs $5, but is well worth it - just packed full of all kinds of information. For instance, the Heirloom Slicing Cucumber "Long Green Improved" has this entry: Introduced in 1842, this variety is related to an older variety, "Long Green Turkey" grown in the 1700's. Plants are vigorous, productive, and reliable. Fruits are 10 - 12 in. long, medium green with black spines. Good for pickling or slicing.

Each sectionin the catalog, like Pole Beans, also has a detailed description of how to grow them, in general. Much more detailed than any other catalog i've seen.

Another company i love is Victory Seeds, i've had great success with everything they've sent me.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Don't assume, ASK them if they grow all their own seed. If they are honest, they should tell you where they get their seed from.
OK I did send them an e-mail... will post the response.

Latest posts