Little Duck Egg Laying Machine

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
For a tiny duck she laid a lot of eggs 3 where broken. I dont have much hope of any hatching i have never seen her sitting on them
upload_2018-5-29_8-16-24.png

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
They will taste great in whatever form you want. Maybe you have a friend with chickens that go broody? A hen will mother a baby duck.
I have a hen right now that wants to go broody even though we ate all of the roosters. I thought I was going to lose her bc I had been getting home and checking for eggs after dark and I have found her sitting on the nest, but, no, she just wants to hatch some chicks. Maybe she is reading me the riot act and demanding fertilized eggs? After all, she is 4yo this year and her biological clock is ticking.
Better order some new birds...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my son had ducks, he said they would just lay eggs in the mud. Since you don't know how old these are, probably, you might want to toss them and keep watch now that she's laying, and collect every couple days. Duck eggs are more "eggy" than chicken eggs, I think.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
She has a dry warm house filled with hay. The mud corner where she choose to nest.

i thought they like to nest close to water so the youngsters don't have to go far to learn how to swim? so putting nest in mud may be their way of saying that is what will have to do...

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my boss always finds a bunch of eggs in mud & if she isn't paying attention to where the hens go hiding them she ends up with more ducks from it. this year she is determined to keep on top of finding all the hiding spots. something is also helping her keep them in check this year. past couple weeks she's been finding a group of eggs & a couple days later they will be torn apart. good thing it hasn't gone for her ducks yet.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Put them in water...if they sink you can eat them, if they float, even a little bit, toss them. Duck eggs are GOOD and great for baking.

Latest posts