Little Tricks

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The chef was talking about something as simple as plate size to try to help with overeating. (Might work with undereating.) But, this was a 1-2-3 thing with her so that, I assume, she could toss that idea for a day if she had 3 other healthy choices.

I like that but would probably abuse the opportunity ;).

Ice cream goes only in small bowls. I began doing that when I realized that DW apparently decided to substitute ice cream during the winter for my summertime beer! If I could get a flavor of ice cream that would go with beer ...

Oh well, I have a fresh cookie for dessert then I'm running off to the garden for awhile. Mostly oatmeal and raisins in that cookie, ya know!

Steve

Vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, butter pecan, black walnut, and so many more.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got me a Veggetti http://www.buyveggetti.com/Default.asp?tcode=pi9&tag=BingBOGO&bhcp=1 it is worth it's weight in gold!!!! I turn my zucchini into spaghetti noodles. I put the "noodles" on a plate put in the "nuker" (microwave) for 60-90 seconds then top w/ my favorite sauce. I got mine in the "as seen on tv" section of walgreens (a local drug and misc store). I used to have to julienne slice my zucchini by hand this takes 5 seconds to turn a zucchini into a plate of noodles.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if I could learn to like summer squash if I could turn it into spaghetti!

Growing food is a wonderful way to take an interest in eating. I had Viking Purple new potatoes tonight :). Yes, now I know which plants are of that variety. Fortunately, there were 5 medium to large potatoes of the variety I was most unsure of, under that one plant.

It added a good deal to the enjoyment of growing them and to the meal.

Steve :)

Last edited:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the milk lactose thing...something I had read (because DD2 is lactose intolerant) explained it as the cow's milk originally has both the lactose (sugar) and the lactase (enzyme) present when raw, so that the lactase aids in the digestion of the lactose and raw milk is therefore easier to digest. Once it has been pasteurized though, the lactase is denatured by the heat, rendering it ineffective, so that only the lactose persists and some people's gut cannot digest it on their own. Not a milk allergy--just an inability to break down the lactose. As lactose intolerant children get older, they may eventually develop the ability to digest the sugar on their own (hoping so!). Goats milk is a good alternative for lactose intolerant people and they can usually digest it just fine even though it does also have lactose in it as well, because goats milk is just much easier to digest in the first place and probably doesn't leave any residue in the colon to cause upset. There is also a true milk allergy, but that has to do with the casein protein.

I hope to have a family cow and/or milk goats someday, once we are able to buy a farm. DD2 can drink goats milk just fine, but it is about a $1.50 more per 1/2 gallon than the lactose free milk I get at the supermarket and also I seldom can get into town (1/2 hr. drive) early on Saturdays, the only day the farmer's market is open. We were going to get goats here, but decided against it since they are so hard to keep in and also our neighbor had goats bordering our property and couldn't contain his.

I don't know for sure, but I would guess @so lucky that the Jersey or Guernsey milk might be more easily digestable like the goats milk is.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you refering to the cow that was bred by GMO method of inserting a bacterium gene into a calf's embrio to eventually produce " Lactose Safe" milk by Dr. Li in China ? This could be a boon to those that are lactose intolerant. However, there are those that cry foul for anything that is GMO or "man made " while Mother Nature has been playing around with this for eons... called evolution and selection of the fitest. Other than that, I have never heard of any other "lactose safe" cows producing that type of milk. As far as I have heard or seen there is only a difference in AMOUNT of fat content of Jersey and Guernsey breed cows than that of Holstein. The Holstein average is 3.4 % +/- butter fat while the Jersey and Guernsey is over 4.3 % to 5.7 % +/- butter fat. Also the Holstein produces more milk on average than the Jersey or Guernsey and these produce more milk than any beef breed cow. This is a breed trait only. The reason that the Holstein is prefered is because the dairyman is paid by the gallon of milk. The Jersey and Guernsey is used to increase the butterfat average in the amount of milk produced by the Holstein. This equates to increased profits for the dairymen. I would be interested is seeing any scientific paper published in a peer revued magazine on the validity of cows that produce "lactose safe " milk.

@bobm, I'm going to start a different thread for this, as it would stray from @digitS' thread. I'll name it "Got Milk?" and have a link to an informative article.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a little #reminder:

Don't forget to do that thing you are trying to remember to do.

No, no thanks necessary.

Steve :)

mydogdory

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I make salad jars. I dunno if you're a salad eater but they have a lot of recipes on the internet if you google "salad jars." You can make 7 at a time and eat them throughout the week and they won't spoil. I also do the same with strawberries and watermelon. It helps! lol :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
And, here's another thing you can do: Get Inspired!

A good way to do that is talking with people who grow food. Then copy them! It especially helps if @Nyboy sends you seeds :):

Escarole! (The picture is from about a week ago.)

I'm eating escarole for the first time right now! It is delicious with white beans and turkey bacon cooked together in chicken stock, whole wheat toast accompanying!

I wish I could have gotten to this at a reasonable hour, like a dinner earlier than 9:30. DW has said we should have escarole with bits of barbecue chicken tomorrow for dinner. She raves about it! You may have made more than one convert to escarole, NyBoy :).

Steve

Latest posts