Little Tricks

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It started and grew just fine, @Nyboy .

My spinach, long ago, bolted!

I was supposed to grow "perpetual spinach" this year. Baker Creek has it and, around here, Ed Hume. It is a chard but without the heavy stems. I think that people in the UK call both: beet spinach.

I forgot to plant the seed last year and couldn't find the package when it was time to plant them this year! I can imagine successive sowings of escarole for summer greens. I'll see how it does with the weather turning hot. Very pretty plants right now.

Steve :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This escarole is delicious in a stir-fry! A little bacon first, the barbeque chicken and fresh from the garden greens!

Yeah, we ate it for lunch. The idea is to join @lesa with the amaranth for dinner!

See! You take your inspiration ... and you run with it!

:) Steve

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wish my DH would eat a wider range of veggies. But I enjoy lots of fresh and cooked home grown veggies. I love to fix a mound of broccoli and top it with just enough spaghetti sauce to flavor it.
Breakfast is eggs and coffee with some sort of carb. The eggs are the protein which keeps my blood sugar level for longer. Lunch lately is anything veggie out of the garden. Lots of tomatoes and cukes. Or lettuce and tomato salad.
Supper will be 1 serving of whatever I fix for DH. He's a meat & tater man from WV....Scots/Irish

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may have had to get away from home and Mom's version of veggies cooked to death! About the only flavor was "burned."

Then, I had a garden. What was I going to do other than admire it? Kinda embarrassing to grow lots of a vegetable and not eat it.

Along in there somewhere, I learned about stir-fry. It suits my interest in food and desire for "fast."

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
A real simple cheese sauce is to mix:

cheddar and sour cream.

Grate cheese, equal amounts - heat. Pay attention and stir. Vary by adding a little mustard. Light sour cream and skimmed milk cheese would lower calories but you want a cheese that melts easily.

:) Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for that tip Steve. I'd like to try this on pasta with kale of course to make it more nutritious! I've read that sharp cheddar has more calcium than all of the other cheeses.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
While butter makes food taste better :drool ... even the smell of cheese and peanut butter makes me want to upchuk. :sick :idunno

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
While butter makes food taste better :drool ... even the smell of cheese and peanut butter makes me want to upchuk. :sick :idunno
I think cheese and peanut butter would make me upchuck too......although separately they aren't too bad...... :gig

Latest posts