Lizards Of The Garden

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Lizards got to love them!
They are hard at work everyday in my garden.
It would be nice to see some lizards from your garden(yes this means you!) I am sure we could put together many different looking lizards
form all over!

We have a nice light rain today so here are a few shots I was able to get. I hope you enjoy!

100_7103.jpg

100_7106.jpg

100_7108.jpg

100_7109.jpg

100_7112.jpg

100_7115.jpg

100_7117.jpg

100_7118.jpg

100_7119.jpg

Please add your lizard pictures. :pop

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a lot of lizards!! I have never seen a lizard in my gardens in upstate NY. I have a few snakes and frogs/toads, but no lizards. Yours look really cool! I presume they eat "bad bugs"? Your gardening experiences are so different than mine! I can't wait to show you the snow I grow all winter!!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
That's a lot of lizards!! I have never seen a lizard in my gardens in upstate NY. I have a few snakes and frogs/toads, but no lizards. Yours look really cool! I presume they eat "bad bugs"? Your gardening experiences are so different than mine! I can't wait to show you the snow I grow all winter!!
:gig :lol: :pop

That was just a few that I could catch sitting still. There is thousands of them all around my place.
As far as what bugs they eat I can't say if they eat only the bad ones but I have seen one eat a Palmetto bug
twice the lizards size.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That first pic is fantastic! it almost looks florescent....you always take good pics. Are you ever without a camera in hand? I never seem to have mine when those "moments" happen.... :/

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
That first pic is fantastic! it almost looks florescent....you always take good pics. Are you ever without a camera in hand? I never seem to have mine when those "moments" happen.... :/
It was a light rain so I went out just to capture some pics as I know they are all out when it drizzles.

And yes my cam is with me in the garden at all times! On it's tri-pod
A must for clear shots! ;)

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your lizards are fantastic.

There is a saying that the Lizard represents Love, but Love that is able to sacrifice a part of itself. If you hold on too tight it will break its tail off (sacrificing a part of itself) and scurrying away.

Like Love, you never want to smother or control it, otherwise it breaks away and leaves a part of itself behind. (see, all those years in therapy!!) LOL

I like lizards, actually I love anything that eats bugs. They eat a tremendous amount of bugs.

Your lizards look to be Anole or American Chameleons, because they can change colors like a Chameleon. This accounts for all the wonderful colors.

Here, I have several varieties of lizards, none of them are as tropical as Anoles but equally as pretty. I only see them in glimpses because they dash off as fast as I see them. I doubt I could ever catch a picture of any of them.

Thanks for sharing,

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Ron.
They are Anoles not the green one but the Brown Anole.
I found this. Not sure of the author,
"The maximum length of the brown anole is up to 8.5 inches. They are gray, black, brown to very dark brown and sometimes speckled coloration which may vary in hue. The males turn almost black during territorial displays; females have diamond-shaped patterns down back; mature males will also have a crest-like ridge along their back."

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
6479_dscn1223.jpg

I love lizards; however since I have been in the garden with my chickens I have not seen any. I am sure the chickens may have had something to do with that. My garden was neglected for about twelve years due to job commitments and a prolonged illness. I am retired now and my yard is in a wonderful transition. One thing I want to do is build a frog/toad refuge.

The picture is a three tiered fountain of flowers and is protected by chicken wire at the bottom. I will be upgrading this by putting a foot or two high decorative wire garden edging.

There will be colored round river pebbles surrounding the garden pot at the base. As I water from above, the water will be collected at the bottom. It will be just enough to keep it the moat moist. I am hoping to attract a toad or two and keep them safe from the chickens.

Latest posts