llama poo and goat poo - can fresh poo be put into the garden?

Reaction score
We have llamas and goats. The llamas are thoughtful enough to use a "community" spot for their poo, so it is very easy to gather. The goats simply poo wherever - but there is still plenty to be found.

Can I put llama poo and/or goat poo directly into the flower beds and/or garden or do I need to allow it to break down in some way before generously pouring it on the flower beds/garden?

Thank you.

southern28chick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
No one else posted so I'll give it a try. I know that chicken poo has too much acid in it and must be aged. I think that it's best to age all poo before adding it into the garden...but if it's a smaller amount of poo then it may be safe to till in.

I may be wrong...hopefully someone else with more experience will join in.

Ang.

Sprout
Reaction score
I am just going by what I learned growing up. When farmers put manure on their fields they do it in the fall. This gives the poo time to age. By the time spring comes it is not harmful to the plants. I think you should compost it to be safe. :)

mamaspider

Leafing Out
Reaction score
most fresh poo will burn your plants if you put it directly in the garden... better to compost it, or add it in the fall.

j

Robotair2700

Sprout
Reaction score
From the book "Raised Concrete Block Gardens" To paraphrase, Poo in pill form ie Rabbit and Goat can be applied directly to your beds. We also use rabbit poo around ouy onions and lettuce, WOW good go. We have horses and we always compost their poo. A, it kills seeds, and B, it cools down the poo. Chicken poo is too Hot to be directly applied. If you apply at the end of the growing season and plow it in , it'll be perfect next season.

Lots of luck Bob and Charlene

Reaction score
I would add the poo to your compost pile! It will make better compost and give it time to age!

GwenFarms

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I put horse poo directly in my garden. When I pull a row I put a layer of poo in and then I drag a shovel through to mix it with a little dirt. Then I put in my seeds and cover it over. I don't use any fertilizer, just horse poo and it grows beautifully. I mulch around my plants when they come up with the waste hay. This is hay that is left after they finish eating a round bale. Its full of poo and even urine. Now, this I try to dry out before I put around the plants. If I don't the urine in the hay mess can burn the bottom leaves on plants, but they always recover, even young ones. In the end I think the side dressing the poo gives them and the weed protection the mulch gives far outweighs a couple of burnt leaves.

I use this same process not only when planting from seeds, but also when planting seedlings.

Now I have read on this, and other boards, that horse poo will cause huge problems with weeds, but this isn't a problem for us. I suppose the using the mulch helps keep the weeds from seeding. All I know is this works. We are 100 percent organic thanks to poo.

ksacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have also been told that rabbit and goat poo is safe to use fresh.

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have over 40 goats, some poo goes into the compost pile but most goes directly into the garden. When we clean the stalls out it is mixed with matted hay and makes great mulch to put around squash, tomato and pepper plants. I have been doing this for 4 years now, adding it directly to the garden and have had no problems.

Latest posts