Local food sustainability group!

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow that's amazing! I'd love something like that around here.
There's nothing like this going on here.

We have only one local man veg growing company that worked really hard to get things going for himself as a business, I once admired him for this hard work.

The sad thing is he is not being very honest lately, he's scammed me a couple of times this year, and gets nasty if you dare to question him.
He can get away with all this because no one else is getting together to get vegetables growers working as a team. So there's no competition to keep him in check.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow this is amazing! I kind of want to start something similar here but honestly I’m not sure there’s a need in my community. I live in a rural farm area and most of the locals here are either farmers, the children of farmers, or already have a large garden and/or animals such as chickens, meat goats or even a few cows.
Though sadly a lot of this is dying out with the older generations. For the most part the Millennials and Gen-Z haven’t been interested in any of that kind of thing. They’ve got their noses stuck in their phones and that all they pay attention to.
Once I get a few more years experience under my belt I may try to start a class with some of the local homeschool groups.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow this is amazing! I kind of want to start something similar here but honestly I’m not sure there’s a need in my community. I live in a rural farm area and most of the locals here are either farmers, the children of farmers, or already have a large garden and/or animals such as chickens, meat goats or even a few cows.
Though sadly a lot of this is dying out with the older generations. For the most part the Millennials and Gen-Z haven’t been interested in any of that kind of thing. They’ve got their noses stuck in their phones and that all they pay attention to.
Once I get a few more years experience under my belt I may try to start a class with some of the local homeschool groups.
That is a really good idea. Go for it :)

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is a really good idea. Go for it :)
Thank you for the encouragement!
I would love it if someone would give us lessons around here, not only for the children because would be first in the queue :) @Artichoke Lover
It wouldn’t necessarily be directed at your local area but you could see if there are any online for the UK. I know here in the U.S. the local botanical gardens will sometimes hold online courses for that kind of thing.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you for the encouragement!

It wouldn’t necessarily be directed at your local area but you could see if there are any online for the UK. I know here in the U.S. the local botanical gardens will sometimes hold online courses for that kind of thing.
It would be really good to actually work amongst others. I did the food safety course online but nothing could beat the interaction with gardening.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you have an opportunity for an allotment garden, @Marie2020 ?

Those gardens are mandated by governments but I don't know how uniform that is. There must be waiting lists, also.

My experience with community gardens is that there may be committed interest at first but without an active organization to manage & recruit, things have a very good chance to fall apart later. It isn't just that people lose interest. People move, age ... there's also problems with neighbors ;). Sometimes, those aren't just the neighboring gardeners.

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do you have an opportunity for an allotment garden, @Marie2020 ?

Those gardens are mandated by governments but I don't know how uniform that is. There must be waiting lists, also.

My experience with community gardens is that there may be committed interest at first but without an active organization to manage & recruit, things have a very good chance to fall apart later. It isn't just that people lose interest. People move, age ... there's also problems with neighbors ;). Sometimes, those aren't just the neighboring gardeners.

Steve
I have a good bit if clay ground to work on hopefully I will have some help to get organised soon :)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I really had a lovely surprise a few moments ago. The man who said he would fix my fence turned up and he hope's to make a start on Monday, but no promises, he's not the sort to let people down.
He also said in around two months he will make a start on my raised beds, I just cannot bend very well and he knows, so will raise to my ability.

Plus there's more, @baymule the wood I wanted for the chicken coup, never came, he said too forget that because he's got a better idea. His friend owns 30 chickens. I cannot contain my relief and excitement.

:weee:celebrate Sorry about that, I will calm down and have this coffee I was going to have 3 hours ago to celebrate.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I really had a lovely surprise a few moments ago. The man who said he would fix my fence turned up and he hope's to make a start on Monday, but no promises, he's not the sort to let people down.
He also said in around two months he will make a start on my raised beds, I just cannot bend very well and he knows, so will raise to my ability.

Plus there's more, @baymule the wood I wanted for the chicken coup, never came, he said too forget that because he's got a better idea. His friend owns 30 chickens. I cannot contain my relief and excitement.

:weee:celebrate Sorry about that, I will calm down and have this coffee I was going to have 3 hours ago to celebrate.
Awesome!

Latest posts