Looking for a compost tumbler

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I'm in the market for a compost tumbler. Do you have one that you like or dislike?

After looking around I'm pretty interested in this one. There are some things that don't impress me about it, leaving me a little concerned due to the cost, but there's pros and cons to every product.
Lifetime 80 gal composter - $200

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Downer digitS', here ...

I made a 55gal drum into a tumbler back in the days when I had small gardens. I thought I could go for a real quick composting cycle. Nope.

The standard size of a bin, the experts tell us, is four feet at minimum. With my little barrel of about 24", I didn't have enough depth for heating.

Shortly after, my brother gave up on a tumbler of about the same size he had bought. Dad and I set it up in his backyard. Didn't work.

All I can think is that your 80gal example might be big enough to build up that composting heat that's necessary.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know which one works terrible, and it's the only one I've had experience with. It belonged to a client, she had two. One for new stuff and the other for almost ready stuff. They were giant balls on a rack type holder that had wheels for the balls to roll on. Good idea in theory, but not too practical in application. The compost could be so heavy that it took a lot of strength to get the ball rotated. Would have worked better if it had some sort of handles on the outside to get a grip on. It was also awkward to open to add material.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
upload_2015-3-15_15-39-57.jpeg
Here's a picture of it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought one at Costco for $99 a couple of years ago. It was too close to my coop and I would scrape my back when ever I turned it. Once it got about half way full it was pretty heavy for me to turn and I think I'm kind of strong for a small woman. But I sold it for $65 so I was happy.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have 2 and it does make good compost . I only make 1 load a year in each. I just keep forgetting about turning.\ it. I don't know about making it in 6 weeks like they claim. I did lose a grip on it once and it gave me good whack in the head. I would not stop using it though because of 1 error. I got the 2nd one for $50 on craigslist. First I bought from the company.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'll agree with the folks who already said they don't hold enough heat to keep cooking most of the year. :hu I have a two chambered roller version but am about ready to go back to a simple pile.

Latest posts