Lovage in Texas

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find lovage (seed or seedlings) since we moved to Texas. Will it even grow here? Is there a reason I can't find it here?

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thinking.gif
I don't have a clue about Texas.. But I did go up on Google and I found a site about growing herbs in Texas...

http://www.herbcompanion.com/in-the-herb-garden/growing-herbs-in-texas-fall-planting-update.aspx

hope that might help you some.
BigSmile2-1.gif

bluelacedredhead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Great link.
Looks like she's the woman to ask. If the concern is whether it will succumb to the summer heat, I say try it. Perhaps plant it someplace that gets a bit more shade than your garden and see if it grows. Good luck with Lovage.

Emma

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm in Atlanta and my lovage, in pots, made it through last winter. I bought mine from Horizon herbs.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i know i've had one growing the past 2 years here but it seems to suffer when it starts getting hot and dry during the end of July and beginning of August. the do like a nice moist location but not wet. i had water celery in my makeshift pond last year and that is a close relative that tolerates a lot of water.

i have to go through my stash of seeds but if you are willing to try and start some loveage from seed i can send you some to start!

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
i know i've had one growing the past 2 years here but it seems to suffer when it starts getting hot and dry during the end of July and beginning of August. the do like a nice moist location but not wet. i had water celery in my makeshift pond last year and that is a close relative that tolerates a lot of water.

i have to go through my stash of seeds but if you are willing to try and start some loveage from seed i can send you some to start!
Oh my goodness, that would be great! Shall I send you a message with my address?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
sure! i can get it out to you on Monday.

i ordered seeds online from someone before so i know it is out there for sale. Baker's Creek has them this year for $1.75 for 200 seeds. i bought mine already growing from a local farm/nursery and have yet to try growing it from seeds. this year will be my first time growing it from seed.

you looking for any other herbs i might just have?

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
sure! i can get it out to you on Monday...

The only other thing I'm looking for is lemon balm.
Thank you so much.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
sure! i can get it out to you on Monday...

The only other thing I'm looking for is lemon balm.
Thank you so much.
got some of that too!

btw, it may reseed itself so expect it to come up the following year if you get cold winters that might kill the main plant.