Low Taxation County vs High Taxation County...where are you?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hear u Lavender but more valuable assets should cost more in taxes.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It would be nice to see a senior citizen rate or freeze on property tax for seniors. Hard to see seniors being taxed out of their homes. So far they have come up with a deferral program, home owner pays 3% of household income in taxes, but at sale or transfer of property it must be paid back with interest to the state.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think it's criminal that a senior citizen who has paid off their home can lose it because of taxation.
In effect, we never own our property, it always belongs to the state.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
U r correct. Then we die and someone else lives there.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In liberal democratic States expect to pay HIGH taxes to fund " we will do everything for you , then let you pay for it. Heck here in smaller town near Vancouver, Wa. just across the river from the very liberal " keep Portland vy:weeeerd " Portland, Ore. we now own a 1820 sq. ft home on a 7,500 sq ft lot and our taxes are just about the same as our 3,032sq. ft. house in 20 acres with an all steel horse breeding barn in Cal. which is very high but low for a liberal democratic State. But they more than make up for it in additional fees such as special fire protection fees, property owner per apartment fees, etc. that more than makes up for it. :duc

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Of course, I always think my taxes are too high, but there are townships around ours with higher rates just as there are a few with lower rates. Ours just took a giant leap this year to fund new buildings for the Jr/Sr High School and for consolidating three elementary buildings into one centralized school. The result of this levy was 4 voters difference. Three communities (loosing local schools) voted it down and one -- where the new buildings would be located -- made the referenda pass.

The debt is to be retired in 15 years. Not holding my breath that the taxes will ever decrease though.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
the property taxes here is high of course we have 3.002 acres with a 2000 sq ft doublewide last year we paid 910.00 it was 805.00 2 years ago lucky us it jumped 105.00 due to the 7 year tax reassessment. pretty sure the jump had to due with the subdivision behind us now..

Latest posts