SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I unsuccessfully attempted to germinate some monstera deliciosa (mexican breadfruit) seeds last year -- I think I had the soil way too wet & under direct light-- so I'm giving it another shot. I'm planting around 10 seeds. Covering a few with ziploc bags & keeping them out of my germination chamber & my tent. Hopefully we'll see some signs of success in a few months.

seeds acquired from Trade Winds
monstera.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Careful now Sprig'!

This is what Captain Bligh was commissioned to bring back from the Pacific, ain't it? You know, when Fletcher Christian forced him overboard and off the Bounty.

Mutiny in your basement ... anything is possible!

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I unsuccessfully attempted to germinate some monstera deliciosa (mexican breadfruit) seeds last year -- I think I had the soil way too wet & under direct light-- so I'm giving it another shot. I'm planting around 10 seeds. Covering a few with ziploc bags & keeping them out of my germination chamber & my tent. Hopefully we'll see some signs of success in a few months.

seeds acquired from Trade Winds
View attachment 10677
If you can add bottom heat you might have better luck. Seems to be way too early though.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Careful now Sprig'!

This is what Captain Bligh was commissioned to bring back from the Pacific, ain't it? You know, when Fletcher Christian forced him overboard and off the Bounty.

Mutiny in your basement ... anything is possible!

Steve

I didn't know that's what the purpose of the trip was, @digitS' , but Rasputina has a great song about the fate of the mutineers of the Bounty: Choose Me For Champion (youtube). I sure hope my wife doesn't give me the boot for this, as I'm growing it for her :)

bet you didn't think I'd respond to your post with a cello band video ;)

it is related to Durian fruit right? i hope it isn't as stinky as the durian. :sick

I'm actually not sure if it's related to the Durian, @Chickie'sMomaInNH, but I hear the fruit, from this plant that is, is quite tasty, but it takes a year to ripen and everything else about the plant is very poisonous

If you can add bottom heat you might have better luck. Seems to be way too early though.

Thanks for the reminder @catjac1975 , I think I tried that last time with a heat mat, but I also had it way too wet, hence the failure. I'll have these all by themselves this time, so it should be a better outcome.

Last edited:

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OK, so I have 15 seeds in various situations

2 4" pots in ziplocs on top of my basement fridge.
7 in some General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter plugs (cut from a tray)
6 in seedling size air pots

I'll put a dome over the Rooter plugs & seedling pots.

let's see what happens :)
P1091012.jpg

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since all but the fruit is poisonous... have you considered the fact that if anyone gets ill or die ... how you will fare with a lawsuit ? :hu

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Since all but the fruit is poisonous... have you considered the fact that if anyone gets ill or die ... how you will fare with a lawsuit ? :hu

Not concerned with that. A person could go crazy worrying about all the ways and reasons someone could file a lawsuit against them. I've got three kids & live next to a school; it's far more likely someone falls down the stairs when they're over for a birthday party or trips and gets hurt crossing my yard on their way to the school than eats my plant that is poisonous.

Latest posts