Major groundhog problems

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:D ... I wish I had a blond to sit out there and shoot 'em!

Red tomatoes. A couple things lead me to try the hanging tomatoes. I had read that the woodchucks never eat the crop that's on the ground, they like it fresh, and a friend told me that the woodchucks devoured their tomatoes.
The veg bait was taken a couple times without setting off the trap, although I was not sure what took it. These were big guys and I thought possibly they were reaching over the trip plate. By hanging the bait way in the back of the trap they had to step on the plate to reach it. Whatever the reason, it worked very quickly, 3 times.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Woodchucks will eat tomatoes if there is nothing better. The love green beans more than anything. They can mow down a row in one sitting. I have seen a big fat Momma woodchuck send her babies through the garden fence that she could not fit through. They are pretty smart and hard to trap. That is why I finally resorted to poison.

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
if you can not use a firearm , get a .22 cal pellet rifle the newer air rifles go about the same speed as a .22 rim

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our property was infested with them when we bought it. Very dangerous to the horses.
After we got our LGD, she took care of it!
Have a video from June 22, 2013 on Youtube I can link. I thought a petdog had gotten out, but no, she found a ground hog that was trespassing. She didn't hurt it much and for a few weeks after, I could see it in the neighbors pasture, sitting up, watching for the dog before trying to get close.

No idea how to keep one away otherwise, so I can't be of any help. Sorry.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had one take up residence last year, and we tolerated it until it decided our plants were more to it's liking than the vegetation around it's den. I dropped a few packs of d-Con into it's burrow, and within a few hours the d-Con had disappeared, so had the woodchuck the next day.
jackb

Last edited:

Latest posts