majors 2016 garden..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
for my watermelon experiment this year.. did a orange crisp seedless, got a late start and the chickweed invasion. have about 20 melons out there. for a change not dealing with rain like last year with the yellow queen that was a disaster<krakatoa> on about every melon...
DSC_0003.JPG

heres the first ones picked... could have gone a wee longer...but still omg talk about sweet. just might be a due over next year
it's the perfect size for us.....
DSC_0018.JPG

ok there was 2 seeds in it..... you know how @bobm is about clearly stating the facts and nothing but the facts...
if you want to do a nice refrigerator melon this is it....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whoa, Major'! Picture loading finally failed while I'm sitting here in the library parking lot, using their WiFi. (Sprinklers are running about a half mile away ... be able to shut them off in about 90 minutes ;).)

Did you sow more cucumber seed? My late-planted (early July) might have blooms. Early-planted are producing great!

Funny about eggplant :). My plants are in surprisingly good shape and have just started to unload. Never can expect too much from my eggplants but need to learn more uses!

Steve

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whoa, Major'! Picture loading finally failed while I'm sitting here in the library parking lot, using their WiFi. (Sprinklers are running about a half mile away ... be able to shut them off in about 90 minutes ;).)

Did you sow more cucumber seed? My late-planted (early July) might have blooms. Early-planted are producing great!

Funny about eggplant :). My plants are in surprisingly good shape and have just started to unload. Never can expect too much from my eggplants but need to learn more uses!

Steve

yes sowed 3 maketmore seeds, i may and may not get any cukes...it's worth a try.... as for the eggplants they have been unloading all season, sure glad i cut back on planting as many this year....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
9/11 update...
what a day....was planning on planting carrots early this morning ,well that never happened..
started to till the soil and gum tree roots started to come up, started to dig yup theres a root and another etc etc. knowing that the roots have become a problem in quite a few beds, decided to cut them out spent the next 4 hours digging and cutting... think i got 95% of them will go back at it once we get some rain carolina clay is a witch to dig when it's dry...
DSC_0001.JPG

those roots just zap everything in the beds they are like a vampire sucking the living crap out of the soil...
figured it was time to fill in the rotted roots from another tree that i remove a couple years ago, so took out some soil from one of the beds to fill them in...
will refill that bed next year...nothing like ankle breakers....
DSC_0002.JPG

dw came out and told her car would not start so told her to take big red and i would put the charger on her battery...
she came home and told me red was not running right so took it out ...now what.... popped the hood looked around found a vacuum hose broken replaced it runs like a champ again..
put the battery tester on her car it was dying so off she goes to advance auto to get it replaced <the battery>..all good.

other wise everything is starting to sprout that was planted last weekend.. might get around to planting carrots later today.....

off to enjoy the rest of this day......

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the banes of the little veggie garden is the neighbor's spruce trees. Suck the life and the moisture out of the garden soil ... yep! I feel comfortable with cutting the roots where they invade the beds and was doing some of that yesterday ;).

A funny thing is that the shady corner is shaded by ponderosa pines, a tamarack and a hemlock. None of these trees cause much trouble. The spruce roots must all be right near the surface, like your gum trees.

The afternoon shade those other evergreens provide is actually somewhat beneficial. I just have to note where the sunbreaks mostly occur and give some thought to what is planted.

Steve