Reaction score

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW! @Lickbranchfarm those are some bodacious catfish! What lake and what did you use for bait? Really awesome pictures, thanks for sharing. Your kids have a boat load of memories, you are one heckava Father!

@Nyboy the bigger catfish get greasy. They have a yellow fat streak down their top side and it can get strong tasting. They "grain" of the meat gets big too. Yes, a big fish like that could carry the whole fish fry, but you'd be wishing for some much smaller fillets.

@majorcatfish I am sorry about your frozen veggies. I am running behind or I would have frozen plants too. I usually go by the pecan trees, when they bud, it is safe to plant.....uhhhh.......Nope! The pecan trees have LEAVES on them! What the heck?

We don't eat them, We catch them, weigh them and turn them loose. I eat catfish but only the small ones, and only caught In the winter months, they taste better to me.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Bay makes sense !!! I don't think I have ever had catfish.
Fried catfish is a Southern staple. There are restaurants just for fried catfish. Had some friends from Michigan come to visit once and they were laughing about the catfish restaurants, they considered catfish a trash fish and were amazed that people actually ate them, much less "catfish restaurants".

Rolled in cornmeal and deep fried--hard to beat! I sometimes dredge the fillets in mustard then in cornmeal before frying, or sometimes I use Tobasco sauce. But it's much easier to just go to Catfish King for lunch and order the Senior Catch. :drool At Catfish King, they have Cajun Spicy Catfish and it's yummy!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
While visiting family, we’d go to river and buy fresh catfish to fry-in lard of course. GREAT EATS!!!!!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
we use house of autry seafood breader mix.... now dont get me wrong will take a plate of crappie over catfish anyday....

@Nyboy farm raised catfish taste like cardboard, you have to get wild catfish either blue or channel.. never did like the taste of a flat head.