majors 2018 garden..

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
here i'm the idiot that owns a few bullhead catfish & keep them in fishtanks! bullheads don't get very big & the whiskers/barbels tend to be sharp. we call them hornpouts here in New England & they usually only get about 2-3lbs. they are entertaining when i give the live food & my kitties love to sit & watch for them in the evenings.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
we use house of autry seafood breader mix.... now dont get me wrong will take a plate of crappie over catfish anyday....

@Nyboy farm raised catfish taste like cardboard, you have to get wild catfish either blue or channel.. never did like the taste of a flat head.

Blue or channel cat fillets are the best!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Best catfish-that I didn’t catch out of Nawthern waters-was in Louisiana at a small hole in the wall in middle of nowhere.

How large of a tank do you have your bull heads in?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
2 are in 55 gallon, both brown bullheads with the largest around 8". and a much smaller yellow bullhead by itself in a 20 gallon. could you believe they were selling these in a pet store? apparently they were shipped in with other fish by mistake. i plan on digging another pond just to put them in so they don't destroy my koi. found out the hard way 2 winters ago when they destroyed the tail fin on my butterfly Kin Ki Bekko koi that was twice the size of them at that time.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie I thought I saw them in a pet shop being sold as aquarium fish. When I was a teenager I had a tank of stripped snake heads, they would kill any other fish no matter its size

we use house of autry seafood breader mix.... now dont get me wrong will take a plate of crappie over catfish anyday....

@Nyboy farm raised catfish taste like cardboard, you have to get wild catfish either blue or channel.. never did like the taste of a flat head.

@majorcatfish If you like crappie, you'd love white perch, also known as Waccamore. Get you a few about a pound, pound and a half, filleted, only fresh water fish I'll eat, besides bream of course. Texture of flounder but firmer. Real good clean fish. You can catch them In about any North Carolina lake now. we use the smaller ones for flathead bait In the spring.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie I thought I saw them in a pet shop being sold as aquarium fish. When I was a teenager I had a tank of stripped snake heads, they would kill any other fish no matter its size
what most pet stores sell are channel cats or sometimes i see some blue catfish which can get much bigger and can be put in a pond. but the bullheads i don't see often. i did get a sun catfish some time back but the yellow catfish & it didn't get along so it didn't survive long enough. i also have 2 tiny bumble bee catfish in with some platties. i read they could be aggressive to other fish but they don't seem to bother the platties or my 2 female betta fish. those don't get any larger than 3" and i just realized the 2nd one was still in my tank (thought i only had 1 left since they hide all the time)

sorry, i feel like we're hijacking Major's thread with catfishing & catfish keeping!

Latest posts