majors 2018 garden..

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
dw harvested the corn today....
from all this..
img_2373-jpg.27785

we ended up with this...it all got frozen...... still thats lots of winter meals....
39846693_10216422718750744_7440470609080877056_o.jpg

definitely going to plant way more next year......

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
this years renters above us, got permission to have a garden...they stick to themselves or the owners told them to stay on their side of the property line.yes we have had to deal with 15 years worth of crappy renters.last year i had enough told the owners to keep their renters off our property....grrrrrrr

anyway the renters wife came to the edge of the property and asked why our corn looks some much better than theirs.....<red arrow on right>

asked her how much water are you given them?
we are not allowed to water since the house is on a city water meter and we will get charged extra....
wow....i feel sorry for those people ....wish i had 49k to buy the property....

IMG_2373 2.jpg

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
How did you plant that corn Major? Spacing particularly? I'll be planting in 4x8 beds next year for the first time so am curious.

I'm planning on Bodacious, that's recommended for down here and what I grew in Arkansas.

you know me.. all rows analy staked out with twine... in the raised beds all my beds are 3' wide so made it 3 rows evenly spaced out and planted every 8"...to maximize usage...

the main garden..
planted in 4' wide 4 rows, then a gap of 3' and so on, with seeds planted every 8" with bird netting over it to keep the black birds from pulling it....will say this the main garden corn was not really thought out this year in watering so i did lose quite a bit in the germination period, plus being away did not help.dw was very instrumental in getting the soaker hoses out which saved it.

if it was up to me in your situation would plant 4 rows and plant every 8" yes thats a little overcrowding, but when you are how to say it<gardening by the yard>
you need to get all you can for every inch..

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The way I planted mine in the main garden was two rows at 12" spacing, skip 32" then two more rows at 12" spacing, then another 32 and 12. At 6" in the rows instead of 8". What you suggest makes sense. I'll just fertilize heavily. It will be so thick there will not be any sunlight getting to the ground so I can't plant anything else in there.

I plan on dedicating one of my six beds to corn. According to my planting guide I can start planting the middle of February, I may wait a week or two though to be sure. Since they are packed so tight I want even germination. I don't think I can replant because of shading issues. I like to stagger the corn planting every two weeks so I'm eating fresh corn over a reasonable period. I don't think that will work here, again because of sunlight/shading concerns planted that tightly. In the garden I had room to spread it out.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
the first year planting corn in the beds, once they were 2' tall, planted a couple bok chio and some lettuce, the corn gave them just enough shade to grow in the summer heat.. really hope i get to stay home next year...

oh by the way we had some of that corn for dinner...that was some good corn
this year decided to try......johnnys "vision mxr" sweet corn..... ears were large and full.

Latest posts