majors 2018 garden..

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
this year being away so much the weeds had a chance to get a foot hold, losing the battle slowly this year....

i had to give up due to injury. mowing one garden on a regular basis until i can get back to it. *so embarrassed and hangs head in shame* the other large garden i should have also done that, but i'm getting a few hours here or there in on it so it's coming along. likely will take me another month to finish at the rate i'm going.

p.s. our late blight tomatoes always look like that but the fruits will come along anyways, we don't have problems with the fruits starting to get rot spots on them until the weather starts cooling and the tomatoes get smaller and the skins get thinner. no worries there, we just let them go as long as they want...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
8/18/18 update....
well the gardens are slowing down....
the 2nd round of corn is just about ready....
View attachment 27999
since i did not spray the corn like i usually do, just about every ear has borers in them.. no biggie just cut off the tip, which has little kernels so no great loss.
View attachment 28000
the mators.. they are on their last legs.... but there are some great red mators out there...
View attachment 28001
View attachment 28002
peppers....getting their 5th wind... for a rough year they are doing quite good....
View attachment 28003 View attachment 28004 View attachment 28005

kind of embarrassed don't know if i should post this or not... oh what the heck.

i peaed in the garden..
View attachment 28006
not a little but both sides of the trellis's.......
View attachment 28007
the spring planting was a dismal failure, hope this planting turns out better.....
if your going to pea, pea big....:lol::lol:
Have you ever tried to over winter some pepper plants?

I'm right there with you Major, my second attempt at cucumbers squash and zucchini failed miserably, roots couldn't get a hold good and the heat burned them up soon after they came up. Only thing left growing right now is Okra, I'm working and an order for a bushel and after that, they get pulled and I start working on Collards. What kind of peas you growing?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
You sure do have some crazy weather over there major. Do you ever get killing frost? Didn’t you get some snow last winter if I remember right.

yes we do get a wide range of weather.... as for killer frost we will get at least a couple weeks in the low teens to 0, nothing like up north..! we do get snow thank goodness depending on the storm might a inch or 8" the colder the storm and snow it will shut down everything for a day or two....

they are not really prepared for snow around here...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
we received .41" last night figured it was a good time to get out this morning and cultivate and plant round 1 of winter squash
planted 20 in 10 holes. was going to make rings around them, but the humidity ran me off. only 89% at 88* maybe later after we get back from getting some fertilizer .....
planted honey bear acorn squash.
IMG_2452.JPG

@Lickbranchfarm ... next summer try putting shade cloth over those seedlings/sprouts..you will very happy with the results..our summer sun can fry the hardest seed. we just never had corporation from the weather to replant ours.

as for the peas planted....
IMG_2454.JPG

over planted this time since the peas are getting old will reorder next spring, if they all mature we will have a couple gallon bags full in the freezer .....

Latest posts