majors 2020 garden....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
ordered my blocks yesterday morning figuring that they would show up on Saturday...:he:he they are delivering next Wednesday :he:he.they are back logged till then because everyone is support to be"stay at home" so people are doing home projects...how rude of them to make me wait...:lol::lol:..

since i have Fridays off till further notice...yes i broke the sah order..

drove to the farmers market looking for English thyme and sweet basil, looked around and found only one vendor that had both, looked at their zuke and yellow squash starts they were very sad looking <we have had a couple morning in the low 30's>

ended up just buying the thyme 4 for 15.00...

so my defiance of sah lead me to lowes same thing very sad looking starts...pass
went inside<yes i was wearing a bandanna> picked up zuke and squash seeds.. dang the seed display looked like the grocery store shelf's the other week, after digging around a bit found a pack of each..score.

while there needed to pick up a new bug sprayer, there was a couple looking them at them so i waited my turn maintaining my distance, a lowes associate comes up behind me and asks if i need help finding anything..
nope just waiting on my turn to look at sprayers, guess he saw me going round and round the seed display..

okay still defiant on my quest... drove to tractor supply put my mask back on and their display looked the same, did find giant basil seeds really not what i wanted, but beggars can not be choosers, waited in line finally got up to the register.
she mentioned that they have fresh sweet basil outside..okay went out there they were sad ,so grabbed 3 of the best...
got back into the line and once again made to the register.

she said she has never seen so many people wearing bandannas....

me: who would ever think that so many bank robbers would be in one place at one time...
she laughed so hard, think she wet her pants...

she thanked me for a good laugh and only charged me for 1 pot.....

done with my rebellious mode drove home......

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
once home it was time to transplant everyone into 4x4 pot's....
hopefully in the next couple weeks the soil temp will be around 65* so they can be planted...
IMG_1355.JPG

since having plenty of time on my hands, on the lower table started cucumbers,melons of course zukes and squash....
IMG_1356.JPG

after a couple hours in a warm room the basil has come back to life, some time this weekend will subdivide them since there is 3-4 plants in each pot.....
IMG_1358.JPG

after looking at the 15 day forecast think i will wait till next weekend to directly plant any seeds..... the next couple days will be nice at night but then for a couple days it's going back down in the low 30's....

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I enjoy that giant basil. It's the Italian type, I think it ha a good flavor. The large eaves work for me with the way I dehydrate it. Really productive.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@majorcatfish do you think all the starts are sad from the cold snap or is watering not happening at retailers right now?
would have to say it was the cold since all 3 places their starts looked sad,then of course tractor supply does not water anything, it's you better buy before it dies....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
woke up at 3 am with a growling stomach made a giant veggie and potato omelet, of course nothing on tv at that hour, so transplanted the basil....
IMG_1362.JPG

took a 2 hour nap....
worked on getting the dirt out of the main raised bed area, bought the cultivar out and roughed up the old bed area. rake it out. have just a little more wood to burn and a bed to remove and i'm done with this project..
IMG_1359.JPG

moved all that dirt to the little cider block bed.. perfect amount....
IMG_1360.JPG

had a little leftover so filled a couple ankle breakers...

i'm done for the day still have one more sah day.....

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow you did a lot of work but you done well! They all look so well organized.

Are they higher than your wooden beds?

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, I need some artichoke advice. I have never grown them before so I need planting advice. How much spacing between plants, how tall do they grow, do they need staking, etc. We are having a frost tomorrow, then it is supposed to warm up. This year the pecan tree has failed me, glad I haven't set out any plants yet. Normally, when the pecan trees bud out, it is safe from a frost. Not this year, first time I have seen it fail.

Latest posts