majors 2020 garden....

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pork roast takes priority Lol. Yea I'm loading up on chicken poop for the tomato beds so it can kinda mellow for a bit while I get the seeds started. Also going to give them a good dose of calcium while planting, hope I dont have a problem with blossom end rot again this year.
yup calcium does help out, for the last couple years have been using "yield booster" from ferti-lome as a floral spray on my mator/pepper plants works really good. found it at southern states. it has the highest percentage of calcium per bottle than any others... worth the 6 dollars.
IMG_1179[1].JPG

mix a half bottle in 12 gallons of water in my tow behind sprayer, will go to town spraying best to due it right after the morning dew is gone.

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Also going to give them a good dose of calcium while planting, hope I dont have a problem with blossom end rot again this year.

Compost from chicken manure is usually high in calcium. They do not digest all the calcium that we feed them for egg shells, a lot goes out the rear end. Another good reason to use chicken poop in your compost.

Blossom end rot is caused by not enough calcium getting to the fruit. adding calcium to your soil won't hurt. But the vast majority of the time Blossom End Rot is not due to a lack of calcium in your soil. It's typically caused by uneven moisture, either too wet or more likely too dry. The uneven moisture doesn't transport calcium that is available. The best prevention or cure for BER is usually mulching to balance out the moisture

If you get a soils analysis you'll know if you need to add calcium or not.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Compost from chicken manure is usually high in calcium. They do not digest all the calcium that we feed them for egg shells, a lot goes out the rear end. Another good reason to use chicken poop in your compost.

Blossom end rot is caused by not enough calcium getting to the fruit. adding calcium to your soil won't hurt. But the vast majority of the time Blossom End Rot is not due to a lack of calcium in your soil. It's typically caused by uneven moisture, either too wet or more likely too dry. The uneven moisture doesn't transport calcium that is available. The best prevention or cure for BER is usually mulching to balance out the moisture

Bingo. Uneven moisture causes a lot of problems.

If your pH is good, you have calcium. Sand/gravel has calcium problems. I have sand with gravel under until you hear Chinese.

i'll keep that in mind, thanks.

We are re-lamping my shop at work here pretty soon, going LED's. Currently i have 34 - 8' double bulb florescent fixture that will need new homes soon.....I have a home for about 10 of them already Lol.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are re-lamping my shop at work here pretty soon, going LED's. Currently i have 34 - 8' double bulb florescent fixture that will need new homes soon.....I have a home for about 10 of them already Lol.
hope you are not relamping with the ones duke energy has in their led incentive program...

Latest posts