Making Maple Syrup

damummis

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It has been over for a couple weeks here. Bad year for syrup.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Did anyone hear about the cub scouts and cemetary personnel that are apparently in a bunch of trouble for tapping the maple trees in the cemetary? There are a bunch that are fussing because it is "distrurbing the ones at rest".

I will have to say I disagree, I mean they are kids doing a good nature project. It is not like they are spray painting or tipping head stones over.

freshfood

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We are sugaring now... we use the 5-gal. buckets too, but we just leave the lids on... well, first we take the lids off, and cut two parallel slits, from the edge of the lid toward the center. The slits are about 2 inches long and maybe 1 1/2 inches apart. This creates a flap of plastic. then we drill a small hole in the side of the bucket, up near the lip. We use the same kind of spile as the original poster, but ours have the hook to hang the bucket on at the bottom instead of the top. The hole we drill in the bucket is sized for the hanging hook, and placed so that the bucket will hang from the hook.

Then we put the lid back on, with our flap lined up with the hole, bend the flap up, and hang the bucket with the spile under the flap. The sap drips, the lid won't blow off, fewer insects get into the buckets (fewer, but we still fish some out!), and we don't have to take the lid off to dump the sap, we just pour it through the opening made by the flap.

I don't at the moment have any pictures, but could take some and try to post if anyone is interested.

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
freshfood said:
I don't at the moment have any pictures, but could take some and try to post if anyone is interested.
Pics please.

I too have enjoyed the giving and receiving from this post. Thank you to all who shared their thoughts and ideas with everyone.

I think tomorrow will be the last day for collecting water for me. I made 2 gallon of syrup so far. I am hoping for another 1/2 gal. when I finish tomorrow.

Latest posts