Margali 2020 Garden

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i'd not bury the graft.

strawberries will do best in full sun, but they may produce under a small apple tree the first or second season. depends upon how much light they get from the sides. where you are it and in a container i hope it doesn't get too hot for the tree or for the strawberries. have to make sure they don't dry out.
The tree is only 3 years old with about 8 scaffolding branches so pot gets lots of sun. The pot is Sub- Irrigated Planter attached to constant water source so not worried about the tree being thirsty. I'm just tired of looking at weeds. I will add just a touch of fresh dirt to bring level to base of graft. Thanks!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do not bury the graft. You are in a container, not in the ground so there is probably less chance of killing the tree by burying it too deep. Not really sure about that. You can sometimes kill a mature tree just by adding a few inches of dirt over their root system.

That has to be on dwarf rootstock if it is in a container. If you bury the graft roots may develop from the scion, the part above the graft. So you lose the benefits of that rootstock. That would prpbably be size, it might be disease resistance.

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That has to be on dwarf rootstock if it is in a container.
It was listed as a standard Anna apple tree, root stock unknown. I'm being aggressive on pruning to keep it small, $35 experiment. I will make sure not to bury graft.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You can sometimes kill a mature tree just by adding a few inches of dirt over their root system.

That has to be on dwarf rootstock if it is in a container. If you bury the graft roots may develop from the scion, the part above the graft. So you lose the benefits of that rootstock. That would probably be size, it might be disease resistance.
Ditto on not burying too deep. If it sits up a little bit, gravity will pull it down to ground level in time.

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
First cucumber from the garden, 1lb 14oz. Made it into a Thai cucumber and carrot salad. We'll see if the kids eat it. IMG_20200513_190258.jpgIMG_20200513_191719.jpg

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well last night was fun! It rained for about 10 hours constantly. Don't have a rain gauge but my tree barrels had 3" of standing water despite draining slowly thru the overflows on side. I had to pop the fabric screen off the overflows to allowed plants to drain better.

Got next crop of cucumber from garden. Glad my family likes pickles! Will be first experience with homemade. Going to do refrigerator pickles and order supplies for canning styles. Also working on my fresh salad styles. These kids are going to get scurvy if they don't start eating veggies.
IMG_20200525_091452.jpg
I need to rework my compost tumbler. It filled with rain and is lovely smelling, NOT. Going to add more drainage holes along bottom and try to restart.

Starting to get flowers in my wildflower patch. Need to pull grass again. My helper was working in front flowerbed yesterday.

IMG_20200525_091430.jpgIMG_20200524_151829.jpg