Margali's 2019 Garden

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Insomnia presents... the garden!
Garden Shadows.png
I modeled it and geo-located it in SketchUp so shadows are mostly correct. The trees are 6' tall above the pots and the shorter pot is 2' tall dwarf blueberries. I think I will have enough sun for the garden beds (blue barrel halves) considering I'm on the gulf coast.

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Update: flower bed has all sod removed and cardboard down for past week or so. The three wicking barrels for trees and blue berries are setup with the autofloat bucket. It has been raining non-stop so progress is slow.
To Do: Bury 1/2 irrigation line across yard from tap on the house. Level the wicking beds vs grade and float bucket. Cut the other barrel in half and set up for wicking veg beds. Set up trellis for veggies to shed wall.
Think I'm on schedule to buy trees at the Houston Feb 9th or the master gardner's Feb 23rd sales. My experiment with germinating pepper seeds is also shows progress. A few seeds have roots started after 7 days.

I'm trying to decide if I want to grow my freebie seeds from Baker Creek. They are Purple Russian Tomato. We don't really each tomatoes except as soup or spaghetti sauce. There is something in raw tomatoes that upsets my stomach.
IMG_20190203_122225.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Margali,

I like tomatoes under most any circumstances however, my soup making usually happened with counter-ripened fruit that had sat there for a couple of weeks after frosts. I figured that I could always ADD some flavor to it. A few years ago, I discovered Summer Tomato Soup.

Ripe off the vines, tomatoes have lots more flavor than picked green and sitting around for days! I make soup right through my harvest season and beyond. It's flavorful and easy. I can even make it by the bowlful in the microwave. The blender may be involved before or about half way through the cooking. Very little needs to be added, maybe just to pamper yourself ;). Sauteed garlic and onions, cooked and crumbled bacon, a good sprinkle of cheese -- There you go!

By the way, peeled tomatoes can go under the broiler with green onions. A sprinkle of hot pepper flakes and a handful cilantro (like to wilt that under the broiler too but you have to pay attention). That can go in the blender and you have salsa sauce. You may want to put that on some freshly cooked pasta with some cheese ... or, on some cold pasta with salad dressing ...

There is no reason to think that you have to eat tomatoes raw just because they are coming in, ripe from the garden ;).

Steve

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This may be a little late since you have already started your garden, but in our area you can put in a 1 call (811). You have to give them a 48 hour notice, but this will bring in everyone that has any type of cable, pipe or wire buried in your area. They will mark the lines so you will know exactly where everything is buried.

As for large containers, you can always use large totes to plant in, or any size really. Drill holes in the bottom or sides, depending on how much rain you get in your area. I wouldn't use the transparent ones since they don't last very long. Lots of colors to brighten up your garden. If I didn't have large round pots, I would have use totes in my garden for my flower beds.

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Henless, thanks for reply. First picture on page 1 is a shot of all the utilities marked out from 1call. I've been cautious cause telcommunication companies tend not to bury to depth required by code.

My containers are half 55gal food grade barrels. They are uv stabilized for outdoor storage. Im not sure if you can see in the picture, but the black spot on the barrels is overflow drain from the water reservoir.

I have some polyethylene compatible spray paint that I want to use on the barrels with stencils. I need a clear weather spell though.

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Sante Fe pepper seeds started 1/28 are doing great. The Oda pepper, not so much. I still have 5 seeds of each variety to pot out tomorrow.
IMG_20190205_211838.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Margali,

I like tomatoes under most any circumstances however, my soup making usually happened with counter-ripened fruit that had sat there for a couple of weeks after frosts. I figured that I could always ADD some flavor to it. A few years ago, I discovered Summer Tomato Soup.

Ripe off the vines, tomatoes have lots more flavor than picked green and sitting around for days! I make soup right through my harvest season and beyond. It's flavorful and easy. I can even make it by the bowlful in the microwave. The blender may be involved before or about half way through the cooking. Very little needs to be added, maybe just to pamper yourself ;). Sauteed garlic and onions, cooked and crumbled bacon, a good sprinkle of cheese -- There you go!

By the way, peeled tomatoes can go under the broiler with green onions. A sprinkle of hot pepper flakes and a handful cilantro (like to wilt that under the broiler too but you have to pay attention). That can go in the blender and you have salsa sauce. You may want to put that on some freshly cooked pasta with some cheese ... or, on some cold pasta with salad dressing ...

There is no reason to think that you have to eat tomatoes raw just because they are coming in, ripe from the garden ;).

Steve

one of the joys of the gas stove back in the ancient home was being able to halve a tomato and then put it right on the burner for a bit to get the skin off it and to cook it a bit when making other things. yum. electric stove just can't do that as easily...

Latest posts