Maxi-wave hopes

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Microwave and Silicone Cookware

Nearly 50% of microwave use, I'm using it to heat a beverage, coffee or tea. Nearly 50% of the time, I'm reheating leftovers. (You can tell, we don't eat very many teevee dinners ;).)

Around here someplace, I might have a microwave cookbook that I bought quite awhile ago. Started to read it with enthusiasm! Might have thrown it away in disappointment :rolleyes:.

Sauces, I honestly think that I could do something with sauces. Do NOT like a double boiler altho that just might be an equipment problem. But, there are 2 problems with using the microwave and making sauces. One is that making a mess that I have to clean up looks to be a likely scenario. Mess making would probably be a repeat performance, until I developed some skill. The real problem is that sauces are so high calorie! Often, they are simply unnecessary additions. I decided that I had just better not even go there ... ~ sigh ~

Vegetables are a possibility but I haven't been very happy with cooking them in the microwave. Have you used silicone cookware? Would it help to broaden the possibilities?

Steve
who now and then slices mushrooms, combines them with a little margarine, and microwaves them, stirring once or twice. it's a good way for me to include mushrooms in something that will benefit from their addition.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, but I hear that I should. Downright miraculous they say. My sister was just telling me the other day that I need to try those silicone cookie sheet liners...no more need for parchment paper. She says that she also uses hers to make her famous pumpkin rolls; cooks it on it, then rolls it right up in it.

I was given a silicone baking mold for making fancy little flower shaped cakes, but I used it to make hard lotion bars instead. Never tried it in the oven. I figure I shouldn't repurpose it for its intended use now that it smells of fragrance oils.

I love my silicone spatulas. Does that count?

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not right. But I'm afraid to use silicone cookware in the microwave oven. I'm not sure as silicone cookware. Because China produces a lot of low-quality silicone cookware. I'm not sure that our stores do not sell Chinese dishes.
Silicone cookware has a temperature limit. I'm not sure that the microwave oven can withstand temperatures accurately. If the temperature is too high, the silicone cookware begins to melt and release harmful substances.
And I do not cook in a microwave oven. Our research shows that it is harmful. There are safety rules, for example, do not stand next when a microwave operates. However, I have it. Sometimes I must do something quickly warm up. I've never used it when I had to warm up baby food.

https://www.health-science.com/microwave_hazards.html

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I moved the microwave out to the garage a few years ago, thinking I'd keep it for ...something....which so far has never happened.

I don't even miss it, although Kid#2 had to adapt to using the toaster oven and stovetop for his quick meals. But now he says he's fine without one.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would like to get rid of my microwave some day. I use it to warm things up but I don't think they are very safe. I also try to stay away from plastic cooking utensils and storage containers. I like to use wooden spoons and glass for containers.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The silicone interest was sparked again ..

. when I learned ..

that there are silicone net bags that can go in popup toasters!! Really? Wow, how hot are those?

Steve
who uses plastic wrap commonly over food in bowls in the microwave

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I quit using plastic bowls to reheat food in; now I use glass bowls and wax paper. But I guess I better read up on the dangers of microwaves. There is certainly something in our modern life that is making us less healthy.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I switched over to glass for microwave years ago. I could not stand the staining tomato sauce left in plastic bowls.
I don't like that staining either. Plus it's harder to get the smell out of plastic. That's why I don't store anything in plastic anymore.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here would be the use:

Perhaps, this idea as well ... DW has been buying lots of the dehydrated veggies lately. I still haven't seen her finally taking the dehydrator out of the box that I gave her as a gift. Perhaps just something quick and easy would be a useful introduction.

I'm questioning these things as a gift. A little cheap and, maybe, tacky. But, for me to play with ..!

Steve
who would be the only child pressing a nose against the microwave door and won't be doing that.