Meet Pearl, New Horse

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had our 2 little granddaughters last week. I saddled up Pearl twice and took them for rides. Pearl is becoming quite the kid horse. Still a little go-go to turn them loose on her, but I put them in front of me in the saddle and she knows she has precious cargo aboard.

A neighbor brought his 7 year old grandson over this week and I took him for a ride. He was thrilled. We took pictures and texted them to his mom.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
November 5, 2018, to now. I finally see Pearl gaining weight close to my goal for her. I didn't realize just how far down she was. She had no gut health, liquid farts, cow pies instead of horse apples. Her digestive tract mush have been utterly destroyed. She has been up, starting to look like a living animal, then go on a losing streak and skinny again, to the point of her ribs sticking out. It's been frustrating. I've thrown everything at her but the kitchen sink. I've fattened up some skinny horses before, but nothing like Pearl. She has come a long way.

She is being fed twice a day, 3/4 scoop of 14% pellets, 3/4 scoop cracked corn and a double handful of black oil sunflower seeds. Her butt is finally losing that bony pointed look, her backbone is getting fleshed out, still sticking up a little, but nothing like the mountain range it was. Her flanks are still drawn, but a huge improvement. She is shedding out now and her color is lighter than it was.

Lately, she has been feeling real good. She has broken out in a full gallop, tail up and racing Prince to the barn. Yesterday when I went to feed, Carson rushed the fence barking (it's a game Prince plays with the dogs) and she kicked up her heels, bucking, and took off running. I've never seen her do that and it brought a big smile to my face.

2 years and almost 5 months, it's been a long road, but we are finally getting there.

1617133606953.png

1617133799319.png

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I took this one in August. She is still on the thin side, but has come leaps and bounds from where we started.

2d2f41e5-5627-44c3-a18a-5bf286635212-jpeg.64906
She's a beauty. :) . If anyone will get her in top condition, you will.

I have only just found this thread. :clap Well done baymule

Latest posts