Meet Pearl, New Horse

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yep, it's really a crap shoot when buying from the sale barn. I've gotten some really good ones, and some really pain in the butt ones. In high school, I used to ride the horses at the sale barn for people who wanted to sell theirs but didn't want to ride themselves. The horse traders and individuals used to sell the horses outside in a side area before the sale started. Gave people a better opportunity to see the horse and how it acts while outside and under saddle. It's changed now. They no longer allow that to go on at Longview. Makes it harder to see what you're actually getting.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have continued with "talk to the hand" while Pearl tries to get around me, she even tries to run in behind me, but I head her off. I feel like a cutting horse after a calf. LOL So this evening, after we did the feed dance and I let her eat, I scratched her on both sides, then pushed on her chest and told her to back. She did! Pearl backed away from her feed that she so desperately wanted! I let her stop and stand for a moment, then stepped aside and let her eat again. This tells me that she is compliant, not a hot head and will listen to me.

I am real excited to report something that I had not mentioned, but she has no more wet farts! Her gut and intestinal tract was so messed up, to start with, that she pooped undigested pieces of hay. When she had gas, liquid gooshed out and splattered on her back legs. She passed liquid when she pooped too. I figured her gut bacteria was dead or practically nonexistent due to her being so starved. I gave her the Garlic Barrier for worms twice, then gave her 8 ounces of live culture yogurt. I gave her Garlic Barrier again. Tomorrow I will finally worm her with the horse wormer, an ivermectin product. I will wait a few days to let it clear out of her system, then give her the yogurt again. But the GREAT NEWS is that her intestinal tract is back on track and no more wet farts! I don't see pieces of undigested hay in her poop any more, I do believe Pearl is on her way to good health. Also tomorrow I will take new pictures, it will be her 2 week anniversary with us.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have continued with "talk to the hand" while Pearl tries to get around me, she even tries to run in behind me, but I head her off. I feel like a cutting horse after a calf. LOL So this evening, after we did the feed dance and I let her eat, I scratched her on both sides, then pushed on her chest and told her to back. She did! Pearl backed away from her feed that she so desperately wanted! I let her stop and stand for a moment, then stepped aside and let her eat again. This tells me that she is compliant, not a hot head and will listen to me.

I am real excited to report something that I had not mentioned, but she has no more wet farts! Her gut and intestinal tract was so messed up, to start with, that she pooped undigested pieces of hay. When she had gas, liquid gooshed out and splattered on her back legs. She passed liquid when she pooped too. I figured her gut bacteria was dead or practically nonexistent due to her being so starved. I gave her the Garlic Barrier for worms twice, then gave her 8 ounces of live culture yogurt. I gave her Garlic Barrier again. Tomorrow I will finally worm her with the horse wormer, an ivermectin product. I will wait a few days to let it clear out of her system, then give her the yogurt again. But the GREAT NEWS is that her intestinal tract is back on track and no more wet farts! I don't see pieces of undigested hay in her poop any more, I do believe Pearl is on her way to good health. Also tomorrow I will take new pictures, it will be her 2 week anniversary with us.

also, as a starving animal in a pen who knows what she ate off the ground there, could have been another horses apples...

i'm glad to hear she's doing well.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
also, as a starving animal in a pen who knows what she ate off the ground there, could have been another horses apples...

i'm glad to hear she's doing well.
Actually, in the kill pen, she was well treated and was fed on alfalfa hay. She came in like that, he felt sorry for her and put her up for sale to give her a chance for a better life.