Meet Pearl, New Horse

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK~ went through this thread ~ the new horse ~ wasn't sure at first ~ but ~ keeps looking better and better and better ~ love n that horse is easy ~ as for the old and unwell ~ me thinks I'd feed em ~ talk to them often as I could and have a backhoe on call ~ but I couldn't put them down ~ Aust Yezu Parin ```
Our two old friends have earned their keep. They can stay as long as they are happy. I won’t let them suffer in pain and misery. My hope for both is that when their time comes, they just lay down, go to sleep and never wake up. A horse dying in the wild is hastened by predators, in our protected environment there are no predators. I will not watch them die slowly, a little each day, in pain and misery. They gave me their best. I owe them all the love and care I can give them and that includes knowing when to let go. They will tell me. We have already shed many tears at the thought and will shed many more. I will keep them as long as I can. I cannot be selfish. I am a strong woman, I am the one who steps up and makes the hard decisions. It sucks. Sometimes I wish I could collapse in a pile of tears and let someone else do it, but I am not that person. I love my two old friends. I love them beyond my own feelings and will do whatever needs to be done to give them both the best life remaining and the best death possible. Pray for them, my friend.

Tearing up at just thinking of saying goodbye.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay it is so good to hear you feel that way, quality of life is important. I have had many clients over the years keep the dog breathing at all cost. It is one of the hardest things to due. Yet a quick painless end is the last act of love we can give them.:hugs People who have loved and lost pets will understand the tears

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gracioius... we just can't seem to get off of the 'old, dead horses' theme. :gig

Wish you could post a video of sweet Pearl. I bet it was kinda funny to see her throw a fit and have instant regret. LOL

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do they naturally walk with high step or need to be trained ? If it is training can any horse be trained to walk that way. In my mind I always thought them the Southern aristocrat horse, kind of gone with the wind horse
These beautiful, gentle horses have been abused to make them lift their hooves up high. It is illegal now, but it is still done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soring Look at the picture of the X-ray which shows mails in the thick pad for more weight. Think maybe it might be uncomfortable for the horse to wear those?

This is a good article and has lots of pictures that show what is done to the horses for the show ring.
https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Reference/AnimalWelfare/Documents/Soring-Bookiet-March-2014.pdf

I love Tennessee Walkers and have never had one that picked up their feet in such an exaggerated manner. The smooth gait is natural to the breed, the tucked down rump and super high step is not. Pretty to look at? Yes, until you know the real truth behind it.

Not just any horse is gaited, nor can you take a horse that is not gaited and teach them to be gaited. There are several breeds that are gaited, Tennessee Walkers, Missouri Foxtrotter, Rocky Mountain, Paso Fino, Saddle Horse and several others.