Melons

JaimeB

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
So, I'm new to melons. I tried to grow some watermelon the summer before last, but it never came to fruit.
My questions are, when should I let my cantaloupe fruit? I transplanted a 6" seedling a couple weeks ago, and it's been blooming. It's still very small, will it even fruit on it's own right now. It's in an above ground planter, in 5 cubic ft of soil with a cucumber plant. The drainage is great, and im thinking about watering it twice a day, instead of once. They get about a half gallon+ of water, and by the end of the day, the top layer is completely dry, and a little spongy when pressed. Is that good enough?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would let my cantaloupe flower when it wanted and set fruit at will. Once there were a couple of fruits growing well on each plant it is soon enough to stop further fruit from setting. Besides, I've noticed that the first flowers tend to be males and fruit won't be started until the plants are a bit bigger anyway.

My gardening technique is more laid back. I don't choose to water until the roots are visibly fighting over the dew. What you described sound near perfect.

JaimeB

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Red. I was just a little worried, because it hasn't grown much at all since planted. I don't use any food, or miracle grow though, so I'm sure that's what it's a little slower.