Mice, Can't Live With 'em

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So, yeah, apparently mice like Scotch Bonnet plants. They bit the terminal buds off of my sprouts in my seedling bay right after, or during, munching down ALL of my tomato seeds, which were stored close by, that I was saving for next year.

Traps set. Three caught so far.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Argh... MICE. About this time of year they find a way in and the battle begins. Good Luck.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wasn't even thinking about them until I saw my tomato seeds all gone. I thought "did I move all those somewhere else?". Then I finally put it together after I saw the buds all gone.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, it's that time of year! I'm sorry about the damage, Sprig'.

A favorite mouse hangout is under my garage. I call it a garage but at sometime, a wood floor was put in it so it's a workshop. I think the mice have wonderful security down there (& little work overhead ;)).

They will show up in the garage soon and I will begin exterminating them. Living so many years with a chicken house helped developed skills.

Regular ol' Victor traps, thrown away with new replacements after a couple of victims. They like cheese. It isn't just a cliche. They can have a little "safe" crumbs even before the traps are set. One or 2 crumbs away from the Victors, later.

Raisins stick fairly well. Raisins dipped in peanut butter must be irresistible!

Try to get them all at once, Sprig'. BTW, in the chicken coop, traps in a cage was a way to keep the livestock out.

Steve

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So annoying! I lived with mice for many MANY years until we got a calico who is a mouser. Then we built a brand new house and haven't seen a mouse inside since. Doesn't stop me from looking for mouse dropping under the sink or cabinets. Old habits die hard, I guess.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We don't do traps anymore...just put out JustOneBite bars each spring and fall~under the house and in the shed~ and that seems to do the trick. Any mice that are caught outside of those two places are dog and chicken fodder, so we get them on the way in and, if one gets in, they don't live long after.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have noticed more holes in the chicken yard, and twice I have seen some little scurrying critter in the dusk as I close up the chickens. I need to figure out some kind of trap or basket to put the poison in, to keep it away from the chickens.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
We provide Blood Thinner ,Ramik is the brand, and I've made a trap which they drown in.

The large blood thinning cubes can be strung on a coat hanger so that the mice have to eat them slowly in place, they carry the little ball size away.

Latest posts