Michigan

fair weather chicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
just saw the 7 day weather forecast, rain is supposed to start friday and continue thru monday with 30% chances each day. i mentioned earlier about the youth fair bringing rain and hopefully here it comes.

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hope you get the rain you need fairweather.

4 bales of straw plus soiled straw from the cow stalls that I've been saving and I still need about two more bales :barnie Then the garden should be somewhat mulched. Not all of it though, figured I wouldn't mulch around the some of the veggies. Mostly just the vineing plants. One of my tomatoes is almost big enough for a fried green tomatoe. Any of you like those? I never had them until I got married, but that was 37 yrs ago!

Bobbiee

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I run zuccinni through the food processor, sometimes it'sblanched before freezing, sometimes not.. Doesn't seem to make much difference. It's always mushy. The nature of the beast. I use in casaroles, and in place of spagetti. Chickens like it too.

Pullad a droopy squash this mornin and found one of those squash bug larva in the stem. Actually there were four in there. Plant had tell tale bore hole and debris next to ground but it was too small for me to attempt to remove the grubs with a scalpal or needle so I just pulled it out. Still 3 remain in that hill. Damn bugs make squash a risky "operation for me here.

Most of the garden is growing very well. Thinned the zinias and turnips planted a few days (7/1) ago. Weeds are under control better this year than i can remember EVER. Thank you winged weeder.

Keep Growing

Bobbiee

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Dascountry said:
Hope you get the rain you need fairweather.

4 bales of straw plus soiled straw from the cow stalls that I've been saving and I still need about two more bales :barnie Then the garden should be somewhat mulched. Not all of it though, figured I wouldn't mulch around the some of the veggies. Mostly just the vineing plants. One of my tomatoes is almost big enough for a fried green tomatoe. Any of you like those? I never had them until I got married, but that was 37 yrs ago!
You newlyweds ! ;)

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sort of fell off the map for a while. Hi again.

DH visited the old veggie garden we had at his hunting camp as it's a big field without all the shade around the house. He said potato bugs have devastated the taters and the lack of rain has pretty much dried them up anyway, the beans are pitiful and the corn just sort of stopped growing Looks like that whole thing is a bust. Hopefully, next year I'll have a bigger garden here at the house. The new one that DH did clear for me has the cukes, zukes and pumpkins and tomatoes this year, those were at the hunting camp garden last year and did horribly due to lack of water, but here I bought more hoses and though the soil is very poor (I just dumped compost in each hole for each plant this year, hope to get manure for the whole thing this fall) the plants are doing pretty well, I can see 3 tiny 1 inch long zukes, no cukes or pumpkins, lots of flowers though. Only a few green tomatoes so far, I'm thinking it's just too hot. I bought a lot of cold weather tomatoes to try this year and they're doing pretty pitifully prduction wise.

Snow peas though are getting away from me, I can't seem to pick every day but every other day has them already getting too fat which makes them tough.

I did plant beans here as well and lots of flowers but no beans. Weird as one of them is a variety that implied I should have had beans a week ago. I don't see anything but flowers.

I'm so looking forward to eating something else fresh soon.

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I should be able to pick some beans in the next couple days..not the masai green but another one I got from pinetree and can't find the package :idunno Also my royal purple beans are almost ready too. My beets that I thought were detroit are not. They are Early wonder from pinetree. Some of them are ready to pick. And did I mention lettuce? Its coming up all over the place. I plant every two weeks and I'm still picking on some from the first planting. And have two more patches to pick from also.....never thought I'd get tired of leaf lettuce.

Welcome back Swampducks :clap

So far nothing bothering my chickens. Can hear the coyottes every night....maybe they keep the coons from here.

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Okay, how come your Masai are almost pickable and mine are only flowering? Dang it! I want some BEANS!

ty for the welcome.

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
While weeding a bit yesterday I did find some thin 3 inch beans. The Providers, first year I'm trying those. Need to water again because I can't rely on the 30% chance of T-storms today. Looks pretty darn sunny to me and it's already 85 and still climbing. :/

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:celebrate Got some rain this morning. Processed 8 pints of beets and picked enough beans for supper :thumbsup

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rain stayed north of us today and yesterday. Got a few sprinkles. Cloud cover was nice, because it kept it cooler till just now. The sun is coming out and it's already risen 2 degrees to 78. Yesterday hit 90. I've got some yellow zucchini finally making progress, they seemed to be an inch long forever and now they're 3". I think the soaker I gave them the last 2 days really helped. Probably water again later this afternoon. Tomatoes still small and green, though my black cherry finally has fruit and hopefully in a couple weeks I'll be able to try them for the first time.

No fruit on any of my pumpkins or cucumber vines yet, I'm getting a little worried about the pumpkins, I'd have thought they'd have something by now. They are pie so they might make it in time before the first frost, but I think this is cutting it a bit close. Anyone have any ideas? I have given them a little miracle grow maybe twice in the past 6 weeks but nothing else. It's poor soil, I added some compost when I planted, I think. Odd, now I'm not sure. Ah well, I'm hoping next year they'll be in over wintered manure I hope to add in the fall.

So for me, it's now just a waiting game. I hate waiting. :fl

Latest posts