Michigan

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, my total accumulation up here in northeast Michigan, just 18 miles from Lake Huron is 7.5" out on my front deck. Beautiful day today, sunny with blue sky, only 26.7 degrees though and a bit breezy. So, what do you all have or not have out there today?

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GOOD MORNING CAMPERS!

Hope that wasn't too loud? :weight Time to rise and shine, the sun is shining (mostly) the birds are singing (or at least eating at the feeders) and the puppy has dragged home another piece of deer carcass. What more can one hope for on a late February morning in beautiful Michigan?

Grammi

Sprout
Reaction score
Swampducks and Dascountry, I am about 30 miles north of Alpena, I go to Alpena often. We need to get together!! I want to add that I am 1 mile from Lake Huron, just 7 miles north of Rogers City. I don't type here or byc much, but read alot.

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Grammi said:
Swampducks and Dascountry, I am about 30 miles north of Alpena, I go to Alpena often. We need to get together!! I want to add that I am 1 mile from Lake Huron, just 7 miles north of Rogers City. I don't type here or byc much, but read alot.
:frow Nice to meet you. I see you are a memeber of BYC also, so do you have some feathered critters too? I am just starting out with the farm again. Two calves, 2 piglets, and 47 chicks. We have had critters in the past but got rid of them to try out traveling in the winter. DH didn't like it, he likes to fiddle in the barn to much, so he got bored sold the travel trailer and here we go again. I am so ready to plant the veg garden. May can't come soon enough for me :tools I have a friend in Fairview that has a hoop house. Her DH built it last year so shes going to be trying that out. If it works well I'm gunna see if mine will make me one. Anyone use a cold frame? Have good night.

M.sue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
GOOD MORNING PEOPLE......
I WAS THINKING ABOUT PLANTING SOME ASPARAGUS THIS YEAR. I'VE NEVER PLANTED IT BEFORE. WE ALL LOVE IT BUT I JUST CRINGE AT THE PRICE OF IT.....ESPECIALLY THIS TIME OF YEAR! FOR THOSE OF YOU HAVE PLANTED IT.....WHEN DO YOU PLANT, DOES THE SOIL NEED TO BE SANDY? I'VE BEEN TOLD IT LIKES SANDY SOIL. WE HAVE GOOD BLACK FARM SOIL BUT FIGURED I ALWAYS COULD ADD SOME SAND TO THE SECTION WHERE I PLAN TO PLANT THE ASPARAGUS. ANY THOUGHTS & OPINIONS APPRECIATED.

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grammi said:
Grammi! It's been AGES! How are you? I think getting together would be terrific! We could do lunch? Go look at chicks at TSC when they get them? When DO they get them?

Are you starting any seeds indoors? We could do a seedling exchange. I'll have several varieties of tomatoes.

So cool! :lol:

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dascountry said:
I have a friend in Fairview that has a hoop house. Her DH built it last year so shes going to be trying that out. If it works well I'm gunna see if mine will make me one. Anyone use a cold frame? Have good night.
Hoop house, to be used as a green house? Or for chickens? Sounds cool. You got a link? Is it expensive? Boy could I use my own little barn or something.

I've wanted cold frames. My sister's BF built her some but my DH never got around to it. Closest thing I've ever done are walls of water , one for each plant to get a jump on spring planting. Haven't used them in years but with last spring being so cold and wet for so long and everything getting delayed I've decided to try again this year. Maybe I ought to check and make sure they haven't dry rotted or been eating by mice!

Latest posts