Michigan

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
M.sue said:
GOOD MORNING PEOPLE......
I WAS THINKING ABOUT PLANTING SOME ASPARAGUS THIS YEAR. I'VE NEVER PLANTED IT BEFORE. WE ALL LOVE IT BUT I JUST CRINGE AT THE PRICE OF IT.....ESPECIALLY THIS TIME OF YEAR! FOR THOSE OF YOU HAVE PLANTED IT.....WHEN DO YOU PLANT, DOES THE SOIL NEED TO BE SANDY? I'VE BEEN TOLD IT LIKES SANDY SOIL. WE HAVE GOOD BLACK FARM SOIL BUT FIGURED I ALWAYS COULD ADD SOME SAND TO THE SECTION WHERE I PLAN TO PLANT THE ASPARAGUS. ANY THOUGHTS & OPINIONS APPRECIATED.
In the past 10 years I've planted two beds of asparagus. First planting was a disaster, ground turned out to be too wet and the 5 plants never really took off and eventually just failed to appear one spring.

Second planting was more successful but took longer than the expected 2-3 years to produce. I think that is because the soil was heavy and clay like. If I'd added sand that probably would have helped. But you need to dig a trench about 18 inches deep, put in decent dirt... plant,

oh heck..... here's a good looking set of instructions at this website .

Have fun.

M.sue

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
swampducks said:
M.sue said:
GOOD MORNING PEOPLE......
I WAS THINKING ABOUT PLANTING SOME ASPARAGUS THIS YEAR. I'VE NEVER PLANTED IT BEFORE. WE ALL LOVE IT BUT I JUST CRINGE AT THE PRICE OF IT.....ESPECIALLY THIS TIME OF YEAR! FOR THOSE OF YOU HAVE PLANTED IT.....WHEN DO YOU PLANT, DOES THE SOIL NEED TO BE SANDY? I'VE BEEN TOLD IT LIKES SANDY SOIL. WE HAVE GOOD BLACK FARM SOIL BUT FIGURED I ALWAYS COULD ADD SOME SAND TO THE SECTION WHERE I PLAN TO PLANT THE ASPARAGUS. ANY THOUGHTS & OPINIONS APPRECIATED.
In the past 10 years I've planted two beds of asparagus. First planting was a disaster, ground turned out to be too wet and the 5 plants never really took off and eventually just failed to appear one spring.

Second planting was more successful but took longer than the expected 2-3 years to produce. I think that is because the soil was heavy and clay like. If I'd added sand that probably would have helped. But you need to dig a trench about 18 inches deep, put in decent dirt... plant,

oh heck..... here's a good looking set of instructions at this website .

Have fun.
Thanks for the website. I didn't realize that it took so long for it to take a good sound root. The 2-3 yr. wait period sounds long but as much as my family likes it maybe worth a try.....I do have patience!!

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
swampducks said:
Hoop house, to be used as a green house? Or for chickens? Sounds cool. You got a link? Is it expensive? Boy could I use my own little barn or something.

I've wanted cold frames. My sister's BF built her some but my DH never got around to it. Closest thing I've ever done are walls of water , one for each plant to get a jump on spring planting. Haven't used them in years but with last spring being so cold and wet for so long and everything getting delayed I've decided to try again this year. Maybe I ought to check and make sure they haven't dry rotted or been eating by mice!
The hoop house she has works like her own green house. Made from pvc pipe and plastic. The ends though are 2x4 framed and have doors. She was planting spinach and lettuce in it in November I think I was.
I need to get my DH to enlarge the chicken coop this spring. He says he is but just getting him to stay with my floor plans is going to be the real test. LOL

Grammi

Sprout
Reaction score
Yes I do have chickens, I started in 2004, and have had chickens ever since. I still have a couple from then that are still laying an egg occasionally. They are from my first flock. I would love to get together. I am going tomorrow and will check when TC has chicks. Then we can go ohh and aw and goad each other into getting some, although it wouldn't take much for me. :) I have planted asparagus. I absolutely love it, and have planted a bunch or two every year until I have quite a large patch. I promise it is worth the wait. It is just my Dh and DGD here with me. We raised 6 children and two grandchildren, we always had big gardens, we are trying to cut down each year. We do have a small orchard that keeps us busy. We have a lawn business that keeps us pretty busy in the summer, and I also am a care giver/patient advocate. I take care of one patient at a time. My patient goes to dialysis 3 times a week in Alpena. So I can almost meet any time with anyone there. Are you buttoned down for this storm coming?

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ha, I will be in Alpena tomorrow, too. Got a dentist appointment and taking my neighbor who can't drive grocery shopping and then lunch.

I've got firewood available if the power goes out, otherwise, I'm guessing that's as ready as I'm going to be.

Oh and just because I won't be around in the morning is no reason for the rest of you not to post. Keep the thread alive! :bow

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
GOOD MORNING :caf Need to head up to the feed store soon to get some more calf starter. We heat with a wood stove so not to worried about the storm except that I'll have to have DH move the brooder in close to the store if we do lose power. I don't dare go into TLC once they get the chicks in, my DH would crap his drawers if I brought anymore chicks home. :) I think they are coming in tomorrow at TLC, because my SIL is wanting some and planned on going then to get a few. Like I said planning, all depends on the weather. I need to get off the PC and get myself moving. All have a great day.

Dascountry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:barnie Now I am not ready for 6-10 more inches of snow! I'm hopeing the forcast is wrong and we are only getting 3 like yesterdays forcast.

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dascountry said:
:barnie Now I am not ready for 6-10 more inches of snow! I'm hopeing the forcast is wrong and we are only getting 3 like yesterdays forcast.
Only time will tell. :)

I popped into TSC in Alpena today to get some cracked corn and a heat bulb. They had all their tubs set up for chicks, etc, feed trays full and ready to go. Any day now. The gal said she was hoping they weren't coming in tomorrow because the weather is supposed to be nasty. Forecast here says one inch after midnight, maybe 4 tomorrow and then another 1 tomorrow night. And somewhere in the middle of all that, ICE pellets.

hoo boy.:/

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dascountry said:
:he With all this "new" snow, I can't even think about my garden :barnie
Gather a bunch of seed catalogs, a cup of hot drink and breathe.

Next week, up here, it's suppsed to hit the low 40s. They dropped the predicted 50 degrees *sigh*

In the meantime, Here's my winter storm warning thru 7 pm

* heavy snow... possibly mixed with sleet or freezing rain for a
time late this morning and afternoon.

* Snow accumulation: 4 to 7 inches of snow.

* Blowing snow... east winds will gust over 30 mph... producing
significant blowing and drifting of snow... particularly near
the Lake Michigan and Huron coasts.

* Timing: snow will continue this morning... tapering off quickly
through the afternoon. The heaviest precipitation is expected
between 6 am and noon today.

Impacts...

* snow covered and slippery roads.

* Falling snow and gusty winds will result in reduced
visibilities... frequently less than one half mile.

Latest posts