Microwave ... caput !

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife was cleaning the microwave , then she noticed a modification had occured on it's ceiling... it was a dime size hole right smack in the middle of it's ceiling. It is a GE and over 8 years old, just getting broken in . What the ....? I guess we will be in a market for a new one. Anyone have a recomendation as to what is the most reliable and NOT made in China ( garanteed to malfunction just as you put it to use ) and affordable for retired folks on a fixed income ? :old

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife was cleaning the microwave , then she noticed a modification had occured on it's ceiling... it was a dime size hole right smack in the middle of it's ceiling. It is a GE and over 8 years old, just getting broken in . What the ....? I guess we will be in a market for a new one. Anyone have a recomendation as to what is the most reliable and NOT made in China ( garanteed to malfunction just as you put it to use ) and affordable for retired folks on a fixed income ? :old
8 years is great in today's appliances.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's all water problems here and I'm not just talking about having too visit a bathroom through the night :barnie

A leaking roof (that was not made in China) has forced me for more than a few years to have to buy dehumidifiers. I've had so many of them I'm starting too think of how I can join the company.

The first 2 held the odour of mold and had had to be replaced now to top it all a relatively new dehumidifier did a nasty litte number on me last night, yes, unlike my roof these have been made in China.

I now have three, one of these chinese beauty's has now saturated my hall floor with water, my rug and living room carpit is still soaking wet as I write. What scares me is it's been leaking right next to the electric cable. :ep

Thank God I didn't go to bed and leave it on all night

Last edited:

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We’ve had poor luck with microwaves too. The old one we had for 5 years before all the coating peeling off the inside. Now the new one is starting to show signs of peeling around the edges. It’s only 3 years old. Admittedly I think it was the cheapest 1100watt Walmart had at the time so I should probably just be grateful it hasn’t blown up or given us radiation poisoning lol.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where I'm staying, the microwave installed in 1990, went belly up last week. It has electricity, and the time counts down, but the magnetron doesn't work. I had to buy a tea kettle.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've never really like microwaves. Long before I got it into my uneducated brain about the radiation. It always seemed too kill the taste in any food even water seemed to change so I couldn't enjoy a cup of tea or coffee when the water was nuked.

However i have too admit that they do have their uses, they have warmed up heat pads for my chickens in the winter. There's no other way to heat those things up.

I always keep my old discoloured bulky thing because you never know when you are got to need it.

I just wish I could store it somewhere it isn't seen. 🤔

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's all water problems here and I'm not just talking about having too visit a bathroom through the night :barnie

A leaking roof (that was not made in China) has forced me for more than a few years to have to buy dehumidifiers. I've had so many of them I'm starting too think of how I can join the company.

The first 2 held the odour of mold and had had to be replaced now to top it all a relatively new dehumidifier did a nasty litte number on me last night, yes, unlike my roof these have been made in China.

I now have three, one of these chinese beauty's has now saturated my hall floor with water, my rug and living room carpit is still soaking wet as I write. What scares me is it's been leaking right next to the electric cable. :ep

Thank God I didn't go to bed and leave it on all night
It took me from 9.30am until 1.30PM too get this all sorted. The place I got it from do not actually write what you have actually purchased. This morning was a ongoing nightmare. I had call the place I paid for it three times, my bank once and the company itself another three times. And it's covered for 3 years.

Finally I got a good answer, it's being changed on Monday. Oh the relief

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Finally I got a good answer, it's being changed on Monday. Oh the relief

great news! :) we use ours quite a bit. they usually last somewhere around 7-10yrs. there are some things i won't cook with a microwave, but for boiling water and making oatmeal i have it all figured out as to how long i need to set the time. for oatmeal i have a quick warm up on high for 1:40 and then i set it to power level 2 for 7:09. :)

i don't cook dry beans in the microwave, but i do cook shellies and steam fresh green beans in the microwave.

which reminds me we need a new pot for that since i broke my last one. a glass one. i miss it.

Latest posts