MIL broke her hip!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why do you suppose that so often, some people respond so aggressively to care?

My barber fell and broke her arm, I think that was in 2014. The injury and drugs really did a number on her and she returned to the hospital in just a few days. She was delirious at one point and the nurse later told her that she tried to bite her. The barber actually retired a few years ago and is an older woman. The nurse said she wasn't frightened because, with no dentures in, she didn't expect much of a bite.

My barber thought to relate this but I would have been embarrassed to admitting to having tried to bite my nurse ...

Of course there's pain ... and, drugs can't be trusted.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
From experience I've learned that pain meds can cause delusions. My BIL was treated as if he had dementia when he was hospitalized with a ruptured intestine. Not surprising, as he seemed really confused in a way we hadn't seen at home. He told us stories of knife fights outside his hospital door at night, and strange things coming out of the clock. It really puzzled us as he'd never shown any signs of having problems when he had been at home. Once he was home again, he was his normal alert self.

When MIL was hospitalized for her broken hip at 93 YO, she began to exhibit much the same symptoms. We immediately asked that her pain meds be changed and her 'dementia' quickly disappeared so she was able to get started with her PT and go home much more quickly.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
At 92 my grandmother fell while shopping. When I got to the ER her and my mother where in a royal battle. Her hip was broken, she needed to be admitted, Nana was refusing to be admitted because she did not have her makeup bag. The fight was so bad I had to go to macy's and buy makeup. A salesgirl took pity on me and help pick out what I needed. My grandmom was very vain.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would never have thought otherwise, Nyboy. Family is family, love and blood are fierce-some connectors of hearts. However old and failing, when we lose a loved one it is far, far too soon for those they leave behind.

You knew your Grandmom as someone much more than vain and crazy. That may be the part of her that fits your recent story, but in the end it's a small part of all the memories of her you hold dear.

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would never have thought otherwise, Nyboy. Family is family, love and blood is a fierce-some connector of hearts. However old and failing, when we lose a loved on it is far, far too soon for those they leave behind.

You knew your Grandmom as someone much more than vain and crazy. That may be the part of her that fits your recent story, but in the end it's a small part of all the memories of her you hold dear.
You are so right @Smart Red and you wrote it perfectly to express what I think, too. You where a good teacher, I bet.;)

Latest posts