MIL broke her hip!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
*sigh* It has been a long 6 days so far. I have averaged 6 hours per day with MIL. She had a tough time coming out of surgery for her broken hip. (Her 2nd one, broke the other 5vyears ago.)Low blood pressure, cold core temp, confusion, weak. Then she developed a cough, they where afraid she could be getting pneumonia. Yesterday she was transported to Good Samaritan for rehab. Medicare will pay for 20 days. I really hope she will be ready to return to her apartment then. At 2:20 a.m. she called the house!!! Complaining there where black people in the hall (They work there) and they would not let her leave a light on. Bob gets there and she has both the television and light on! He asked the staff. Yes it is o.k. to have her light on , of course they would like her to sleep at night so she has energy for her P.T. She was only eating a few bites of meals at the hospital. Was weak and only walked about 8 to 12 steps before leaving for Sam's . I sure hope they can perform miracles and she starts to behave.
Yesterday Bob and I went by her place to pick up some clothes, tooth paste, shampoo etc. Plus clean out the fridge. What a SMELL. The trash cans where full of spoiling food. Floor and counter tops sticky messes. Piles of STUFF everywhere. We will need to clean her out before the Visiting nurse check the place in order for her to return. I really think we will be able to toss things and she will not miss them. :( If she does, TOO BAD. :(
Well anyway, I just needed to vent. Time to go try and get a few of my own chores done. School resumes in one week. I do not feel I will be ready. (But will welcome the break and reason to not be with her for so many a hours a day.)
Which reminds me I need to call Sam's and see what her schedule is. I do not want to arrive during meals of P.T. time.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that's a tough thing to deal with. I hope she heals and is able to go home. You must be tired. Six hours a day is a lot to spend with anybody! And especially someone who is not feeling well. But good on you for stepping up and helping Carol Dee. :hugs

One day it may be our turn to be cared for, which is a really good incentive to stay as healthy as possible for as long as possible.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel for you my sister. This situation is a tough one to be in. She might not be able to return home in 20 days. I sure hope so, you might want to check now to see what other options there are just in case.

My mom was so rude to the staff, it was embarrassing. She said the N word and was real ugly. I know she was at the end of her life, was pissed off about it, but did she have to act like that? I hope if I ever get that rude, my kids slap the sh*t out of me! The staff members where Mom was before she died were so kind and so good to her.

Good luck to you, I hope things get better, but you realize this is a downhill slide..... She might get better, but she won't be better than she was before she broke her hip. For your sake, I hope she recovers enough to go back home.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
You have my prayers and healing wishes, Carol Dee, my friend. I also send prayers for your MIL's healthy and speedy recovery.
Are there other children to help with her care? If so, now is not too early to work out a plan together.

"I sure hope they can perform miracles and she starts to behave."
You already suspect she won't be prepared to live comfortably alone. Performing miracles for someone who decides to behave goes counter to what you've already said. If there are siblings (and even if there are none) there are other options for the family to consider. You have 20 days to do a lot of planning.

Vent all you want. We are here for you as much as time and distance will allow. As others keep telling me, "take care of yourself or you will be of no use to care for others." I wish you well, wish I could give you a big hug and tell you everything will be all right. Love you!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just bet you are real good at this sort of trial, Carol Dee.

It must be a trial, task, I hate to say responsibility. It has to be all those things and more :hugs.

Don't fault yourself for being impatient, tired, bored ... for wanting to go home. Go out and take a look at the moon, the stars behind it and the beauty of it all. It is a gift you can give yourself for being a caring person.

Steve

Latest posts