Milk substitutes

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob have you read the plant paradox ? Its about how some people put weight eating a diet heavy in fruit and vegatables.
YES ... I was involved in a diabetic weight management program sponsored by Washington State University diet nutrition program. We were given a strict diet very light in meat but HEAVY on fruit and vegetables. We had to write down every bite we took and had to weigh in 2 times a week at a hospital . Guess what... I put on 10 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks, then switched to HEAVY on carnivorous meat protein and minimum fruits and vegetables. It took me a month to loose the 10 lbs. . So ... :smack :tongue to those that push the vegetarian diet.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob have you ever tried goats milk ?
Yes, I have tried goats' milk. I don't like the flavor and it is marginally less for milk sugars than cow's milk. As an aside... when you have an orphan foal or calf and can't get mare's milk or cow's milk..... you have to take the goat's milk , then add canned condensed milk and caro syrup and a couple tablespoons of mineral water to the formula for a balanced food . I had a couple foals whose mothers rejected them at birth, I fed them goat's milk and they just did OK-not thrive, when I added the other items on the Vet. School's recomendation, they both thrived.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
What kind of cows milk are you drinking? Dairy cows produce 2 different kinds of protein. Holsteins (&holstein crosses) produce a protein that some people can’t digest-thinking they are lactose intolerant. The old lines of Guernsey & Jerseys are different. People can digest and suddenly aren’t lactose intolerant. Problem is that most “modern” jerseys have Holstein in their background to gain production. Guess what else they bring?????

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would suggest whole milk in your coffee. I think whole and skimmed milk have the same amount of carbs, but the fat in the whole milk should protect your blood sugar from spiking. And if you can get guernsey or jersey milk, all the better.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I began to have problems with my stomach about 20 years ago, I stopped drinking milk. Dad is lactose intolerant and I assumed that was some of my problem. Soymilk solved the "need" for breakfast cereal.

Since then, I've used several substitutes (and still use some dairy but not by the glass or in my cereal bowl). I doubt if I'd like coconut in my coffee. How about trying this: hot almond milk. I like it but didn't realize that until I went racing out the door one day forgetting to add Kava to it :rolleyes:. Usually, I go for diluting it with hot water and adding Kava instant coffee. If I have time, brewed coffee is my preference and I drink that black.

i like about everything. used to make my own soy milk (it's not hard to do and once you have soy milk you can then go on and make tofu if you want).

I've done that but the initial "soymilk" I make doesn't look very appetizing so I proceed on to the tofu ... which isn't all that flavorful either but sauteed onions, soy sauce, etc. can add what is needed. Don't think I'd like those choices in my soymilk ;).

A choice of Cayenne Pepper in my coffee, @Ridgerunner ?!?!

:eek: Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been drinking LOTS of real cows milk ( cow squeezeings) all of my life. About 2 weeks ago , we ran out of milk, so my wife purchased a quart of Silk ( made from coconut) as the store shelf was bare. To our surprise , my blood sugar dropped up to 100 points. So a milk substitute is very promising !!! I like lots of milk with my coffee as well as with serial and just a plain glass of milk . But the taste ...coffee tasted like watered down weak coffee and left a coconut aftertaste. So, my wife purchased a quart of the milk substitute made from Almonds. This too left coffee with a weak watered down taste. Next... original soy milk , taste test gives coffee a cup of coffee with a rich cream taste. But, there is a slight chalky aftertaste. The soy in coffee is better than the coffee creamer substitute powder similar to if you use 4x the recommended amount. So, has any similar experiences or recommendations.......... :caf
I have not had cow's milk for many years. The only dairy I have is goat cheese in moderation. I have always been a sickly person. Not anything serious. Lots of colds and flu....all the time. No more since giving up milk. My youngest is pretty lactose intolerant. She tried grass feed milk and it did not bother her.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would suggest trying different brands, if soy was good but had chalky after taste, try different soy milks. There's a lot of variation between brands.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've done that but the initial "soymilk" I make doesn't look very appetizing so I proceed on to the tofu ... which isn't all that flavorful either but sauteed onions, soy sauce, etc. can add what is needed. Don't think I'd like those choices in my soymilk ;).

A choice of Cayenne Pepper in my coffee, @Ridgerunner ?!?!

:eek: Steve

i put green curry in my hot chocolate and it makes peach jam very good too with a bit of heat and the blend of spices. i also have put mustard on strawberry jam so a bit of cayenne would be ok in coffee, but i think i'd much prefer some roasted chili pepper flakes that have more flavor and less heat instead.

tofu/soymilk is rather bland, plain oatmeal has more flavor. that's ok, some times food is just fuel to appease the beast wrapped around your spine demanding energy or else...

i much prefer soymilk made from home grown soybeans with the seeds sourced from an organic source. i have made it with other soybeans and the taste can vary depending upon the age of the beans and what type they are...

the leftover bits strained out are good filler for almost anything you might like. i also fed them to the worms if i had to make it too often. since it was relatively easy to make and i had time. i liked it with a bit of cinnamon on top. no sugar ever added. not to soymilk or tofu.

Latest posts