mint as a grohnd cover!!?

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a hill that is very steep, I fell off it and broke my foot a few years back I was thinking of putting mint on it and letting it take over :idunno
What do you all think? Then I can harvest what I want and let the rest keep the weeds down:clap
Great idea or crazy!?!?:frow

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think it is a bad idea...I have used mint along a fence line, in that way. Just make sure that you will be happy with it and that it isn't going to take over an area where you don't want it. Good luck!

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Cool my idea as well the area I am going to put it in it can take over and if it tries to escape:somad I will mow it down!!!!:clap
thanks for the suggestion!!

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
For me, mint seems to grow well for a few years in a single spot but then winter kills if kept to the same area. My answer has been to let it move around the garden from one spot to another.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Keep in mind mint is not an evergreen, so it won't look so hot fall into spring when it begins to sprout up again.

A simple easy-care ground cover, that is an evergreen, and has the added bonus of purple spring flowers is Myrtle, also known as Vinca or Perrywinkle. It can really spread though, so keep that in mind.. It has an interesting history..
http://www.almanac.com/content/landscaping-myrtle-sorcerers-violet

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow Bills I have myrtle in my side yard!!!! Free transplants:woot I love free and it is very thick there so ill just need to dig some out:weee found a nice sized red bud tree there that I already transplanted on the hill :clap a couple of percithia I hill thin my daylillies and spider lillies and it will look awsome:love really love this idea thanks

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have mint behind my NW corner of the house where there were just weeds when we moved in. They do well BUT I keep them mowed down before they go to seed. Then I can mulch with it in the vegetable garden--helps some with insects and doesn't affect the vegetable plants at all. You might want to try chocolate mint. It really does smell like chocolate mint.

TheArcane

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a similar hillside that I've been considering letting mint have it's way with. It's too steep to mow safely, and parts of it are eroding toward my house which is never a good thing. My only concern was with how tolerant the mint would be if it didn't get water consistently. Here in Oregon it tends to not rain much during the summer months.

Latest posts