mint as a grohnd cover!!?

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Teresa planted two varieties of mint in one of our boxes a few years ago and I'm still fighting that stuff. It's really hard to get rid of and it will take over and crowd out whatever else you might have in the box. It started spilling out of the box and that's when I took my Red Dragon to it and flamed it's behind. I still find sprigs of it here and there in the garden I have to yank out before they get going.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow a plethora of minty magical info! keeps out rats, mice and roaches!! I think I'll plant it in the chicken coop!! Now what do do about the flies!!!

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mint never bothered my pet rats. In fact some of them like it. I guess a strong concentrated oil may work, because of the strong smell. It's been a while since I have given them any mint in a few years, maybe I'll go pick some and see if they avoid it or eat it.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have never seen soo many flies! I have strips up outside my door and still I have an enormous amount of flies!!! I have a pitcher plant in the dining room and it is very happy!! does mint attract flies??:he:barnie:rant

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vanilla for flies. Seriously. Vanilla. I hang the vanilla scented auto air fresheners shaped like Christmas trees that I get at Walmart in the coop. It helps keep the flies away. Also, for those outbreaks of buffalo gnats that terrorize the chickens, spray the chickens with vanilla after they've gone to roost for the night.

Hang a couple of those vanilla Christmas trees by your door. Flies. Gone.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule, I hate to disagree with you but I once hung 6 vanilla trees and they did nothing. But people did ask what that nice smell was. They thought it was a flower. Ha Maybe we have different flies? ;)

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule, I hate to disagree with you but I once hung 6 vanilla trees and they did nothing. But people did ask what that nice smell was. They thought it was a flower. Ha Maybe we have different flies? ;)

Mary
California flies like vanilla? :idunnoTexas flies hate it? :lol:

Latest posts