miss maximus

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy Miss Maximus. That's a pretty cool name.

You have a rockery? Is that one of those English Rock Gardens with collections of small Alpine flowers and plants?

miss maximus

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi, Marshallsmyth, yes it is a pretty English rockery with a variety of alpine plants on all levels and lovely ones in between the rocks weaving in and out, very easy to maintain. Your garden sounds very wild and beautiful, it sounds magical, I bet you are very happy and contented.:frow

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow

Howdy again Maxine,

I would think that the native Calypso Orchids we have would love some sections of your rockery. They really are small, winter growers that are dormant in summer and fall. They only make one or 2 leaves each year which lay almost on the ground, and this is their flowering time of year thru to mid June. The flower stalk reaches maybe 6 inches, 2 finger lengths. (Don't know centimeters).

Not very many know how to transplant them. They grow symbiotically with Fir tree roots with a good mycorrhizae fungus as the go-between. Kind of complex stuff, but if it is dug up with a large amount of the forest compost it is growing in and then transplanted near a Fir, Pine, or Oak, probably a rockery Juniper would work, then it reestablishes. They are short lived perennials to 5 to 7 years at longest. Their seeds always seem to sprout in decomposing Fir tree cones.

The small California Coast Range Roses we have are unusual in being really small, rockery sized, and they die back to the ground each winter, or close to it. Their flowers are somewhat variable, but the prettiest are colored like a somewhat muted Austrian Copper, 2 toned. Others are soft pink, all are singles, and not quite 2 inches wide, half a pinky finger.

Our area also has the Mariposa Tulips which go by several other names, California Tulips and such. These grow in clearings in the sun, will be flowering soon, and then disappear for almost a year. We have lots of Shooting Star Dodecatheon, and also here flowering are Trout Lily, Erythronium I think is the Genus name.

It would be idyllic, but of course there are stresses of life. (I may have bitten off more than I can chew for my garden this year, plus the bosses always want things super clean, and being up in the woods in these parts there are some occasional bad people, but I'm pretty well suited for it being mostly Neanderthal, Lol!)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Dear, I nearly missed the Welcoming party! Hello from Smack-Dab in the middle of the USA. Your gardens sound lovely. And..Yes we would LOVE to see them.