mixing blackberries and raspberries?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
To make the soil more acid use gypsum which is a combination of calcium and sulphur. You could also use powdered sulphur alone if you don't need the calcium and want a stronger reaction. Or you could just fertilize with azalea/rhododendron food which is acid.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't really have an answer, KCSunshine.

Raspberries are susceptible to a type of blight - I guess that it can also attack potatoes. I would probably be willing to risk it and just watch the raspberries and treat them for disease promptly if they get sick. If the location is your only choice, the risk to the potatoes may not be all that great :hu.

The neighbors at 2 gardens have raspberries. Both, patches are in full sun. They do fine . . . or, that is, 1 does fine and the other guy has a problem.

He has blackberries along one trellis and the raspberries were nearby, along a different trellis. The blackberries are invading the raspberries space and displacing them.

I have raspberries invading my garden and it is aggravating :he. The blackberries are squeezing them out 5 feet away. I feel sorry for the critters.

It seems a little odd. Wild blackberries live in great abundance along the NW coast, several hundred miles to the west. Wild blackberries don't do worth beans here and will show up but barely survive! However, these blackberry cultivars have sufficient vitality to overrun the raspberries.

(I've got plenty of both berries within easy reach each year - don't tell my neighbors :hu.)

Steve

kcsunshine

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
(I've got plenty of both berries within easy reach each year - don't tell my neighbors .)
The best kind! Someone else does the work and you reap the benefit.

We plant green beans down the fence between our garden and the neighbor's yard. I've offered them all they want to pick from their side. Lazy bums (I'm kidding - I love them) would rather buy them from me already picked.

I might just take my raspberries down to my moms and plant along her fence. Since she doesn't venture off her porch, I won't have to worry about her getting stuck. LOL

mistyfeather

Sprout
Reaction score
amend your bed with peat moss , pine needles , pine shavings (great if you have chickens) and coffee grounds ! before you plant , after that use azaela (sp) fertalizer untill they are established (does not take long for them) they are serpizingly easy to grow, i have never done a soil test and have never had a problem growing anything , you just have to know what they like . remember that most back yards have a very low acidity so building up your bed befor planting will save a lot of truble

kcsunshine

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the great information everyone. Hubby has decided we can make a row of raspberries down the driveway between our and our neighbor's house. We'll have to build a trellis system for them, but we had to for blackberries, too. Anyway, they'll be away from the potatoes and the blackberries and it will be easier to amend their soil.

Latest posts