Mobile Home Goddess

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay before spending money throwing away things, put a free ad on free section of craigs list. You will be surpized what people will take if free.
Haha! We bring it back home and put at the curb. It is amazing what people will stop and pick up! I had a mountain of bags filled with rolls of used carpet and padding-GONE in 45 minutes! What people don't grab, the trash service picks up.

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
things are looking good bay, that floor is going to look marvelous. is the cold better?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
things are looking good bay, that floor is going to look marvelous. is the cold better?
Yeah, I'm gonna survive. Lots of work to do on that floor, but I have this mental picture in my head that nobody can see but me. I just hope reality turns out to be as nice! :lol:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm with Thistle, you can't beat the real stuff. Real wood floors are worth the investment. We put oak floors in our living room, parlour, and dining room about 30 years ago. They still look brand new.

Mary

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Back from the Redneck Mansion. DH hired 2 day laborers on Sunday and they combed the weeds and woods. I knew there was an old sofa up close to the front under the trees, what I didn't know was that there was THREE! :barnie Those men just kept dragging them out! I told DH we had enough to start a used furniture store. :lol:

One of them said he scrapped metal, which turned out to be a blessing. The frames on those sofas were metal, they tore off the fabric and foam, stuffed it into trash bags, and piled up the metal. There had been an old dog pen made of welded wire, of which a lot had come unwelded and was a mess. I handed them bolt cutters and they tore it down, folded it up and piled it up. There was an above ground pool liner, they cut it up, stuffed into bags. The frame was metal. They took apart an old swing set, and a really bad compilation of jagged cut roofing metal, configured to be some kind of dog house. DH took one of the men to his truck, he followed DH back to the house. They stacked the metal scrap they found on the truck until it was four feet above the cab and the bumper was almost dragging the ground. We were so DELIGHTED that WE didn't have to haul it off that DH gave him $20 for gas. The men piled the trash bags in our truck, 32 of them and we brought them home where we have trash service.

That piled up truck of metal scrap and crap was a beautiful sight to us! There is still trash to be hauled off, but we sure made a major dent in it this weekend! The day laborers worked for $12 an hour, They made $108 apiece, plus the $20, plus whatever they made for the scrap metal. Worth every durn penny, and then some. It saved us a gob of work that we just didn't have the time to do.

We worked on the floors. I am so glad that DH got to experience for himself how tedious and time consuming it is to cut in and fit a board to fit in corners and around doorways. Up close to the walls, I used special finish nails and a nail set. DH got to use the "fun toy" with a heavy mallet. I figured he would like it and he did. It has a lip that fits on the tongue of the board and then you whack it hard with the mallet. Of course, you have to bend over, lift the 5 1/2 pound nailer and whack it with the 3 pound mallet, it kinda gets to your lower back.....

flooringnailer_2.jpg

We floored the master closet and the pantry, did all the cut ins around the door frames and trimmed off the bottom of the door frame trim. We started into the kitchen, I measured and cut the board that went into that doorway WRONG---THREE TIMES. :he There are lots of crazy cuts in the kitchen, there is a bar and cabinets that are set in at a slant. I am mathematically challenged and have NO IDEA how to cut angles. DH saved the day with his suggestion of how to measure a board, mark it off and cut it. It fit! :bow And we can use the other end of the boards on the other side of the bar.

I am not going back up there this week. DH is off only for New Years Day and I want to cook a good meal, have Mom over for the day and maybe some friends.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Goddess indeed! It is great to hear how much work got done and better to hear how much was saved. You should be rightly proud. Laying wood floors looks a lot easier than it feels. Especially when you get to the last wall where the tool doesn't work. Hubby deserves a long massage.

Latest posts