Mobile Home Goddess

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got the kitchen and dining area done. Had to go from living room into the kitchen, then from living room into the dining area and meet at the end of the bar, fingers crossed that it would meet up and match up. it did! I got the hallway done and several courses into one of the bedrooms. Lots of pictures!
This is Polly, my helper. She makes every step that I do. :love
Floor Polly.jpg

This is the dining area, the floor starts from the living room which is not finished yet.
Floor Dining.jpg

This is the kitchen, also started from the living room.

Floor kitchen.jpg

This is the bar that sticks out between the kitchen and dining area. I feel so accomplished that as I worked up to the end of the bar, the boards matched up. there were lots of detailed cuts that had to be made.

Floor bar end.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, you are doing a lot better than some professionals I have seen. Maybe you need to take up a new career. (I hope you have knee pads)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The bar is set at an angle. DH and I laid the angled boards in the kitchen side of the bar on Christmas weekend. Figuring out how to cut the angle sparked a heated discussion as I cut it wrong, with DH telling me how to measure the angle. Finally I did it his way and it worked. But then I had to fit the backside of the bar, I just flipped the cut over and used it as a pattern. Then I got to the end of the angle and the bar went straight, so had to make that cut.

Obviously this won't work. The white paper is moisture barrier that goes under the floor.

Floor bar 1.jpg

Measure, draw a straight line, then cut.
Floor bar 2.jpg

There is a burr left in the corner, got to get that out!
Floor bar 3.jpg

I love this tool! Why have I not had one of these before???
Floor bar 4.jpg

Perfect fit! Note--I trimmed off the bottom one inch from the corner trim using the above tool.

Floor bar 5.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love this tool! Why have I not had one of these before???
View attachment 5871

Perfect fit! Note--I trimmed off the bottom one inch from the corner trim using the above tool.

View attachment 5872
I have that tool as well. Bought it when we laid the flooring in the master bedroom and hallway. It is THE tool for trimming the bottom of door jams so the flooring goes under it.

And it has so many other uses as well. I love it, too!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some cuts are hard to measure and cut. I had this cut to make, there was about six inches of full board in the dining room, then had to cut it to fit the few inches against the wall, because the rest of the boards in the hall had been laid and there was only about a 3 inch gap to the wall. Then there was the furnace door and I could lay a full width board into it, followed by another cutout against the wall, then a full board width that went across the utility room doorway. All this on a board that is six feet long. Got that? No? Well, I have pictures!
Floor furnace.jpg

Hmmm.....the cuts are made right, but it won't go into place.

Floor furnace fit.jpg

When laying that last piece up against the wall, there is no room to slide the groove part of a tongue and groove, so I flip the board over and with a wood chisel, I chisel the bottom part of the groove off. Then when I flip the board back over, the top part looks good and there is no bottom, so it falls down into place. Chiseling off bottom groove here....
Floor furnance groove.jpg

I just couldn't make this board fit! I had trimmed off the bottom of the door trim, but nothing I did would make the board slip into place. I finally wound up cutting it up into 3 pieces so I could get it into place. The piece under the furnace door is one piece and the long skinny pieces on each side with a full board end are the other two pieces.

DONE!

Floor furnace down.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a complicated cut! Good job. DH is a stone and tile guy, and also has done a lot of wood floors. I'm always impressed when he does all those detailed cuts. I think you're doing a swell job Bay!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The hallway. Because the boards are offset so the seams at the ends of the boards aren't all in a straight line, to go forward, I have to go sideways first.
I wound up going all the way to the wall in the 3rd bedroom, just so I could get the dining area done.
Floor hall staggered.jpg

Here is the completed hallway, also 6 courses in the 3rd bedroom. Remember the board under the furnace? I had another one just like it that started in the middle of the utility room doorway, then a skinny cut, then the hall bathroom full width, then another skinny cut. Couldn't make it fit either and had to cut it into 3 pieces to get it put down.
Floor hall.jpg

Notice in this picture, on the left, the wall is bowed. I cut it straight, but the durn wall is bowed! I battled bowed boards, some bowed in, some out, nail in the middle, fight both ends and hope for the best.

Last edited:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, now I have the master bedroom and 2 closets laid, the kitchen, dining and hallway. I have to lay the other 2 bedrooms with walk in closets and the rest of the living room. Then I get to do the bootie-scooting-boogie and fill all the cracks and knot holes with wood putty. After it dries, then rent sander........ ya'll stay tuned!

Latest posts