Mobile Home Goddess

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is not necessarily "Red Necking", Moxie. Just this morning I overheard some "world problem solvers" at breakfast discuss one's retirement home in Arkansas. He said there was no bridge on the road to his subdivision, you just drove through the water. Perhaps local red necks build the subdivision, but the sunbirds had to live with it. A lot of other things it didn't have. All of these men who tried living in AK have moved back to the cold of Wisconsin and their snowblowers.

I was just teasing red..being a little facetious. ;)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
It would be interesting to know which retirement home they were talking about. Since you overheard I doubt you could help me but it might be a big retirement community not that far from here. I haven't heard about that specific comment but you get some real interesting letter to the editor in the local paper about them.

Why do you think it that remarkable that people that tried to live in Alaska (AK) are moving back to Minnesota (MN)? I've visited Minnesota and it is not that bad. Never been to Alaska though. :gig
My wife was in Alaska this past Nov. for 2 weeks due to work assignment. BBBBRRRRRRRR !!! This makes it 3 years in a row now. She took a photo of 2 yearling moose grazing in a field near her hotel and has it as a screen saver on our computer . It gets as exciting as can be fishing for salmon with bears as your fishing buddies. Kodiak hunting is a real blast as well as caribou, elk, sheep, goats, ptarmagen, and the 1,000 mile dog sled race and others are pretty good exercise ! And, there is GOLD in them thar hills and ice cold streams. For your viewing pleasure at night, there are the dancing northern lights. Could it be that the lack of daylight in the Alaska winters, or the amount of snow to shovel , or the mean, nasty, aggressive MOOSE scared off the MN. guys ? Are the Minnesota guys, the descendants of Vikings , turning into wimps ??? :idunno

goatgurl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
sounds like your getting there bay. hate that the closing was put off a week. how is your mom settling in?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't people in the south drive in mud for fun ?
Yes they do, it's called mud dogging. They go mudding in trucks, jeeps, 4 wheelers and anything else they can think of. I have gone mud dogging, but I like to think that I have grown up a tiny little bit and am no longer interested in tearing up transmissions and various other vehicle parts. I just hate getting stuck!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
sounds like your getting there bay. hate that the closing was put off a week. how is your mom settling in?
I saw my mom this evening and she chewed me up pretty good, up one side and down the other, as the saying goes. She hates everything, isn't going to stay, get her out of there, she's leaving, there's not room to put her stuff ( I calmly replied that she now had twice the room of the other place) and she ranted and raved until I told her to take a hike down the road. Then I blasted her for a bit and she settled down after that. I hate arguing, but that's something she excels at. Oh well. :idunno

I was up at 4:30 this morning, met neighbor at 7:30, he brought his bulldozer!! :weee He chained up the portable building and just skidded it out of the slop right out the front gate! That's a 7 foot culvert he is pulling the building over. It got a little off, I thought it was gonna fall in the creek, but he just kept chugging along.

Portable building.jpg

The truck loaded it up out of the gate and we headed north. We got to our place, I showed him where I wanted it and he unloaded and set it up. I unloaded the car, met with the guy laying the vinyl in the bathrooms and utility room and our neighbor Robert was there setting fence posts. I got back home at 7:30.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry your mom gave you a hard time...:hugs

Whew! Glad you got your building out successfully! You don't need any more drama that's for sure.

Soon, soon you'll be home and dry and can focus your energies on gardening bliss. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, how many hours drive is your new place? Did that bulldozer pull that shed all the way there? How long did it take?

I think it was good that your mom got it off her chest. I think it was also good that you "blasted" her for a bit. I'm sure she wouldn't want you to molly coddle her. Keep treating her normal. That's the best medicine you can give her.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am back from my marathon polyurethane day/night. I went up Monday afternoon, getting to the house after dark. I took some pre cut boards with me to install for a pantry. I got out the 2x4 boards to nail to the sides to support the shelves and found.......NO STUDS. I have no idea what is holding up that blasted closet, probably the door frame. I took a nail and punched holes in all the walls and found absolutely NOTHING that would support a shelf. Back to the planning ideas..... I decided to just build a frame/support for the shelves, but will have to do that later when I have more time. So nix the pantry idea for now.

I slept in the recliner, woke up at 2 AM and finally gave up and got up at 4 AM. I made coffee, ate some beef jerky and got started at 5:30 AM. Took over 3 hours to get first coat of poly on the floors. I visited with neighbors, unloaded 270 red bricks from our old front yard garden (there's more, but haven't pulled them all up yet) took oak firewood to DD's house, and got back to work at 12:30. Finished that coat, went to Tyler for more poly and then to Tractor Supply for 3 rolls of horse wire and topped it off with 2 - 12' gates and 1 - 10' gate. Tied it all down, went back to the house, unloaded and went back to work on the floors. I rolled out the last of it at 7:30 PM, closed and locked the door, left thermostat set at 80 degrees and headed home, pulling flatbed trailer. Got home after 10 PM. I was utterly exhausted. Slept a full 9 hours, which never happens.

I go back tomorrow for delivery and set up of our new adjustable beds, then will stay until Friday afternoon, take either DD or DSIL back with me. Moving Mom Saturday, have to have U-Haul driver for taking her furniture to assisted living facility in our new town. Get Mom set up and furniture arranged, then back home to old house Sunday and pack for move.

I am sitting here, desperately needing a hot shower, every muscle screaming TIRED! at me, must drag myself off to shower, then go get Mom and take her to the bank, post office and over to some friends house to say her good byes. I feel bad that I am taking her away from all she has known for the last almost 40 years, but I can't leave her here. Take her or leave her, it's still all my fault. Oh well. Meeting my sister in town between us to get DD's chair for baby's room and moving boxes. Sister has been trying to come help me pack, but I am never home. At least she has saved me packing boxes.

Neighbors working on fence have cleared a pathway for it, cut trees, dragged with box blade on tractor and set a lot of posts. Hope I can coordinate fence completion with moving horses. Also have to complete back yard fence for dogs. Don't want my bad-a$$ Great Pyrenees, Paris, terrorizing the neighborhood.

Off to hot shower.......
You are a working machine.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why do you think it that remarkable that people that tried to live in Alaska (AK) are moving back to Minnesota (MN)? I've visited Minnesota and it is not that bad. Never been to Alaska though. :gig

Mea Culpa, @Ridgerunner. I mentioned Arkansas in my post and then wrote AK instead of AR. Nope, these guys went south for the winter, not north.