Mom Fell, Sugery, Hospital and Nursing Home

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is off-topic, but, wow, Marshall, what an interesting man Ole Uncle Farnum must have been. I'd like to get a look at that bible!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
WHEW! What a week! Mom got released from the nursing home Tuesday morning. Tuesday night we were in ER because she was so constipated. She was prescribed laxatives in the nursing home because she was given hydrocodone for pain relief. I don't know if they neglected to give her the laxative or if it just wasn't enough. I gave her Miralax, Levelose and lots of water, but after all, I am only her dumb daughter and I don't know anything. :he I tried to tell her that it might take over night to work, but she screamed for ER, so ER is what she got. We got to ER at 9:30 pm and it was a zoo. We didn't even see the Dr until 12:30 am. She bitterly complained the whole time. "He's looking at everybody else but ME. He's gone home, he's not even here. Why are there so many people here? Just take me home, I'm tired of waiting. Where's the nurse? You tell her I want to see the Dr NOW. I bet they are all on coffee break and none of them even care about me." And on and on and on. There was a stabbing victim, heart attack, sick baby, broken arm and the whole gamut of injuries and sickness. After all that, the Dr said to keep doing what I was doing and for her to listen to her daughter. He gave her a rectal exam and said for all the noise she was making, expected to find her severely impacted but she wasn't. On a scale of 1 to 10, he placed her at a 2. We finally left around 2:30.

Wednesday was uneventful. Thank God. Oh, except for her going to the bathroom to take care of business all day. :gig

Thursday morning at 3 am, she fell getting out of bed. DH and I got her back to bed and I took her to the orthopedic surgeon that morning. He sent her for a CT scan and we went home. Home health ladies came in to give her a shower and she passed out. I called 911 and back to ER went. She was admitted last night and released this afternoon. She has low sodium and potassium in her blood and that will make you light headed, hence the fainting. She has not been happy about this either. At least she didn't break anything else when she fell that morning.

She is taking a nap now. I can't even go outside because she might call for help and if I don't get in there fast, she'll just get up by herself. :he I am really really housebound for the next couple of weeks until she gets better. In the meantime, I will be cooking lots of good things for her to eat so she can get her strength back. The city park has a 1/2 mile cement trail that we go walk on and I'll get her on it soon.

I am tired. I need a good supper, hot shower and several glasses of wine. :lol:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh My Goodness Baymule. You do have your hands full. Tell her I think you are a Saint. Well at least an Angel. :) I hope when she is feeling better she will thank you for the excellent care. God Bless you. I will send up prayers for a quick recovery for her and strength for you. Big Hugs, too. :hugs

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Whoa, Baymule, what a circus!!! You must be a saint. You should be recognized by the pope. Or mother theresa, or someone!! What patience.

Apparently your hope that she would APPRECIATE your home and loving care after the nursing home was not realized!! Keep your spirits up, sounds like you're having a good sense of humor about it, sometimes that's all you can do is laugh!! (i'm sure you were having a good chuckle when she spent all day on the toilet!!)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
She may not have been eating when she was there either. Given the medications she was on its not uncommon to miss meals because your sleeping. They'll leave a tray for so long then its time to pick it up and wash the dishes for the next meal.

Plus once you start to get constipated sometimes people don't feel like eating/drinking which only compounds the problem.

Anybody you know have a baby monitor you could borrow? Or some walkie talkies? Might not be a bad idea so at least she knows you heard her and your on your way so she doesn't over do it.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bay, it is so hard. it wears you out. dad came to live here because mom couldn't handle him anymore. I had a baby monitor so I could see & hear him through the night. I would get up every two hours to change him, and reposition him. then up all day doing day time things. it wore me out. it changed me into a not so nice person. I look back on those days & remember how hard they were. I wasn't always so nice to dad - but he wasn't easy to deal with either. I think you have to cut yourself some slack. your mom is a very lucky woman, whether she realizes it or not.
hang in there. :hugs :bouquet

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aww, Bay, you've really been through the wringer lately. I hate that for your mama too, to have so many set backs. My MIL works as a caregiver for the elderly, has for 13 years now is very good at what she does. From her stories, I know it takes a special person to do what you do. You sound like you see the lighter side in everything and your pluck will be what carries you through these trying times. You're taking such good care of her. Hang in there, and try to find a little "you" time where you can. :hugs

Any time here in the next 2 months will be a good time for me to dig that horseradish I promised you. I don't know what your weather is doing...if it's good planting weather for you. But since you have your hands full anyway, just let me know when is the best time to send it, ok. I haven't forgotten ya!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, can you get a relative or neighbor to sit with her while you get some "away" time? The baby monitor is a good idea, too.
I don't know your mom's financial situation, but wanted to caution you to be watchful of how the hospital treats her stays there. Sometimes if a dr just admits a person for "observation" they do not qualify for Medicare paying for the nursing home straight from the hospital. There are loopholes to be aware of, but you are probably already aware of that.
God bless you for your patience and caring. For some reason, the elderly seem to experience pain and discomfort more acutely than they would have 30 years younger, and most of them (us) turn into 3 year olds again. Just not as cute.

Latest posts